Scent free clothing

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Scent free clothing

Postby quack-quack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm newer to deer hunting and wanted to get opinions on scent-lok and other brands of scent removal clothes? Is there any difference, and do they even work?
quack-quack
hunter

Re: Scent free clothing

Postby AWall3322 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:18 am

In my opinion that type of clothing absolutely does work and you wont catch me deer hunting without it from head to toe. Im sure someone will chime in telling us all about how big of a joke it really is but like I said you wont see me in anything else. Until you've tried it yourself don't jump to any conclusions, sure this stuff is expensive but as a bowhunter ive had many deer within 40yds or less with wind swirling and blowing directly at them and never worried about it. Anyhow do like I do and try it on in a store and then buy it off ebay for a fraction of the cost. Even if you don't believe it works youll still have some good camo clothing.
AWall3322
hunter

Postby wraithen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 pm

You could just spray yourself down after taking the normal treatments and precautions. Wool and silver undergarments work as well but most times if you're busted you are busted no matter what.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:15 pm

I don't have B&C hanging on every wall of my house, so take my opinion as that of a very joe average hunter.

Great scent control is free. I wash in scent eliminating detergents but what I feel really makes a difference (and makes me more confident, which is the big part) is storage between wash and hunting.

I put all my clothes, socks, gloves, base layers, outerlayers, everything, into a storage bin and then I go into the woods and find a nice old log. Break it up with a shovel and sprinkle some of it over the clothes. I mix things around to get it inside and out of jackets and pants. We have a lot of eastern white pine, so I'll cut some limbs about and inch in diameter and shred the bark with a hand saw to release that piney scent and throw those in there. Leaf litter and actual soil is also loaded with the microbes that create that earthy smell.

I leave it outside and dress outside. I just shake everything out to get the debris out before I put it on. When I put my nose into my jacket, like I'm trying not to smell a fart, I get that earthy decomposition smell like the rotting log, and pine sap. I can smell it all day in my stand.

If I don't do this. I'm not confident, I don't even want to go out.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I don't have B&C hanging on every wall of my house, so take my opinion as that of a very joe average hunter.

Great scent control is free. I wash in scent eliminating detergents but what I feel really makes a difference (and makes me more confident, which is the big part) is storage between wash and hunting.

I put all my clothes, socks, gloves, base layers, outerlayers, everything, into a storage bin and then I go into the woods and find a nice old log. Break it up with a shovel and sprinkle some of it over the clothes. I mix things around to get it inside and out of jackets and pants. We have a lot of eastern white pine, so I'll cut some limbs about and inch in diameter and shred the bark with a hand saw to release that piney scent and throw those in there. Leaf litter and actual soil is also loaded with the microbes that create that earthy smell.

I leave it outside and dress outside. I just shake everything out to get the debris out before I put it on. When I put my nose into my jacket, like I'm trying not to smell a fart, I get that earthy decomposition smell like the rotting log, and pine sap. I can smell it all day in my stand.

If I don't do this. I'm not confident, I don't even want to go out.

I have been deer hunting for 49 years. And I do have 191" BC and 168 Py on my walls but the scent products didn't put them there. Yes scent control is a must ,clothing , washing powders and sprays they all help but nothing is full proof execpt hunting the wind. Never hunt a stand with a bad wind they will bust you almost everytime. If you buy it all you will spend big money. If you think it works and you can afford it will help you. Confidence is key there is no right or wrong here your opinion will matter most. Good Luck
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Someday I hope to hunt the wind.

Right now I hunt the big woods, were deer come from and go to where ever they please, and my days and options are too limited to really account for wind in selecting a stand.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Big Game