Duck Hunting Forum banner

Big game hunt

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  forester11 
#1 ·
Im interested in going on a big game hunt. I want to go for Elk, Caribou, Bear or Moose. I havent decided which one...yet. Do you guys have any info on a good outfitter who offers a good hunt at a decent price? I would also like to look into a self guided hunt but I have no idea where to start with information on that. I appreciate any information you have. Thanks

#2 ·
I've hunted of the above and have been successful on all of the animals you mentioned. so which do you want to hunt cause If you want moose of caribou as a combo hunt I'll send you to an outfitter or 2 in new foundland. If you want a large barren ground caribou, I'll refer you way up north. There are some nice bears in new brunswick or alberta take your pick. alberta has more and your allowed 2 bears, but the fee's are a little more. Elk, colorado has numbers, I've got a ranch or outfitter or 2, I can send you to in wyoming.

Let me know what specifically your interested in. Tag applications are due by Jan 31 in some states.

#4 ·
I dont want to spend over $10,000.. the cheaper the better, but i still want a quality hunt.. Flockbuster, a combo hunt would be nice but that is obviously much more expensive.. if i had to choose between moose or caribou, I would probably go with caribou.. But can I have your info on both? Bear is a possibility too... depends on the price. Thanks guys

#6 ·
You can get a lot for 10 K.. I got a mule deer hunt in Wyoming. A freind of mine works the ranch. The Owner of the ranch owns the St Louis rams. I got a 165 -170 mulie last year. I could get you on this ranch for around $5500.00 including air fare.

If you want a good elk and Antelope combo I got a different ranch in the saratoga, wy for around $6500.00 plus tags and airfare. it may run you $8 to 9K when it's all done including taxidermy fees. There are some very respectable 5x5 and 6x6 bulls on this ranch as well as 15 inch to 17 inch bucks.

I have a cheap hunt in New brunswick for spring black bear. The last time I was there I got a six feet, 305# spring bear. great Coat of hair. made a beautiful trophy. The hunt is right at $1000.00. but it's regular accomidations nothing special small cabins and main lodge but you'll go for miles before you seen another hunter. most guys in camp with me filled tags with 200 to 250 lbs bears.

Moose and caribou combo. I'd say New foundland. The moose I'd do Baxter Slade with caribou pond outfitters. He'll fly you in by helicopter to a beautiful lodge on a small lake. very nice hunt. I missed a opportunity at a huge 50" bull moose. I didn't pull the trigger, was waiting for a better shot and it didn't happen. he has huge 600 lb black bear up there but I didn't hunt for one. I'd make it clear before you go. your looking for a caribou and he'll need to fly you to a better area if necessary to get a trophy woodland caribou. Baxter's area has awsome moose if the weather and animals treat you right, but caribou are average. I might even go to a spike camp for your moose. accomidations aren't nearly as nice, but the quality of animals are better. I'd guess 5K to 6K.

If you want to go way up north, Its expensive, but you can get 2 caribou. I got a place that the racks are sweet. you'd better have a big wall to put them on.
FYI: Caribou are blind as a bat compared to all of the other species. you can fool one in with a white hankerchief as long as you're down wind. I shot mine in a wide open field, no where to hide at 50 yards. I must say it was dissapointing. no challange at all.

#7 ·
I just recently read your post and was wondering if you are still looking for a antelope hunt? I have an outfitting service located in Northwestern Nebraska. Its 5 miles from South Dakota and 30 miles from Wyoming. The hunt would be an archery antelope hunt and I have openings from August 15 to November 1st. The hunt takes place on 16,200 acres of private land and you will see huge heards of around 80 antelope. All hunting is done from ground blinds around watering holes using decoys and antelope calls. This is a fully guided hunt for 3 days four nights. You will see many 15" to 19" goats, trophy is considered 14". My hunters usually camp out, bring a camper or stay in a local hotel for around 35 dollars a night and you must provide your own meals. The price is $1100 I am fully insured and have been guiding for 10 years and I have been running my own outfitting company for four years now. Please email at craig.kjerstad@hotmail.com if you are still interested.

Happy Hunting,

Craig

#8 ·
I posted this on another board recently, feel free to contact me about it via PM. These hunts must be booked by March 7th to get the outfitter sponsored tag. This is a good deal-

Guys, I hope this doesn't border on what might be considered spam...

As some of you know I was an elk guide on and off in my former life. Now I enjoy more of a professional career but I still keep tabs on the biz and have a lot of friends in it. A friend of mine just took over management of a great hunting outfitting business. The area is fantastic and remote. Hunter success in the last five years has varied between 65-80% with most hunters having opportunities to take bulls. The area lends itself well to long range spotting and shooting. The hunts are all during the rut and run from Sept. 14-21 and Sept 23-30.

Because this business went without management for some time their bookings are way down right now despite boasting some of the highest success rates in the state. Strictly backcountry hunts on horseback. These 8 day hunts are only $3500 per person for 1-2 people, $3000 per person for 3-4 people. This does not include your outfitter sponsored tag which is around $1500 and allows you to take an elk and a mule deer. The operation is first class.

I have been around this stuff long enough to know a great deal when I see one. I have guided in a lot of crappy areas with really low success rates where hunters have paid way more. If this is something you might be interested in please send me a PM. What's in it for me? Well, I would like to see my friend succeed, but more importantly he is going to let me go on a hunt for free if I can get some people to book with him!

#9 ·
We've got a real good deal on backcountry Elk/Deer combo. hunts in The Bob Marshall Wilderness of Northwest Montana. Outfitter sponsored tags are $1500 this year and there's around 700 left, the guided hunt is only $3200 for 10 days. This is truly an outstanding backcountry hunt in some of the wildest part of the country. Normally 100% opportunity on Deer and 60% on Elk we've got a couple spots still open in Nov. PM if you'd like more info.

Marcus

#10 ·
I've got a great hunt for you in SW Colorado. I've hunted twice with Back Country Outfitters in Pegosa Springs . Dave Gwilliams runs an exceptional hunt all on horseback. You can check out their website www.elk-hunting.com. The first time I hunted with Dave I killed a magnificent Bull and when I went back the 2nd time a 5x6 Mulie. If your looking for a real Professional hunt, not canned as so many hunt are now a days give Dave a call. When I was there 2 years ago I think the hunt was about $4000. I've sent many of my customers from the Windy out to Dave and all have come back saying nothing but good things. Some have shot Trophy Elk and Mule deer and other came back with stories of the one that they missed. The 1st time I hunted with Back Country I saw 5 Bulls the 1st Day and filled my tag easily

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.