Hunting methods

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Hunting methods

Postby Greg Wile » Sun May 15, 2005 1:57 pm

What style / method of hunting do you use? Stand hunting, Deer drives, Hounds, Bait, Food plots, Still hunting, spot and stalk.

I use a Tree stand over bait for bears, as this is how we have to hunt them here, and I either still hunt or hunt over a trail or scrape from a tree stand for deer.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 15, 2005 3:32 pm

we used spot and stalk alot. baited for bears and called elk during archery season.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frazier2209 » Sun May 15, 2005 6:40 pm

I usually hunt from a stand for deer. Either a well used trail, a rub line or something to that effect. We don't have any bears down here in my part of TN :mrgreen:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun May 15, 2005 9:29 pm

I do 90% of my deer hunting from a stand. The other 10% I sit on the ground or spot and stalk. I place my stands on well used trails and rub lines or in the edge of a field. Basically in any area that gets used alot by the deer. We don't have any food plots. We've been thinking about making one but I doubt we'll ever get around to doing it. Before the beginning of season we put out salt licks and stuff.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun May 15, 2005 10:07 pm

Sit in the mornings and late afternoons and then walk sloughs around midday, might spot and stalk if we see any around noon.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 16, 2005 1:46 am

I "spot and stalk" most everything I hunt, but occasionaly I will hunt out of a stand that I made out of 2x4's.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon May 16, 2005 8:20 am

Mostly deer hunting from stands around food sources and funnels. I still hunt some, but I am mostly scouting when i do this. I really like lock-on style stands for bowhunting and I use a climber quite a bit, too. We have a few permanent stands that still some of our best.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Mon May 16, 2005 1:14 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:I "spot and stalk" most everything I hunt, but occasionaly I will hunt out of a stand that I made out of 2x4's.

-Stouff

now thats REDNEK if i've ever seen it :toofunny:
that's nice Alaska :laughing:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon May 16, 2005 7:38 pm

I guess I'm redneck too then. That what alot of my stands look like. A little higher maybe, and some are slightly bigger, but same basic principle.

Hey Stouff do you actually use that white bucket while hunting?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue May 17, 2005 12:50 pm

The big farm that we hunt has three food plots that we have made over the last three years. We also have about 8 or 10 lock-on stands set up on the food plots & in a few funnels. I also use a climber when I want to hunt a new spot or the change there pattern. :smile: I have only killed about 4 deer with my bow while on the ground. When I used to hunt with a gun or muzzleloader I used to do a lot of stalking & ground hunting.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed May 18, 2005 12:12 am

Strictly stand hunting for me. Sneak in and sneak out. I hunt my family's 80 acres and have 4 portable stands set up at around 20-25 feet. Nothing more I HATE is people walking around at first light when the rut is kicking in! Find a tree and roost! :pissed: I have a 16 year old cousin that can't sit still for 10 minutes and will NOT listen to anyone or anything. I feel you can do all the walking around in the off season while scouting deer sign and trails. I use cameras to see whats lurking in my neck of the woods and have all the trails down to what deer are using them and when. I also set up scrape drippers. (they work GREAT). I take my bow hunting, and rifle season, very seriously. Carbon scent suit, cover scents, scent lock bags for my clothes, special clothes wash, body wash, shampoo, deodorant and on and on. It seems like alot of work, but it has paid off in big ways for me in the past seasons.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:24 pm

i just drive around in my truck until something in season runs across the road. then i pick up the appropriate gun from the back seat and take a shot. :eek:

nah..just kiddin'. but i'd probably do better if i did. I usually try to pick a spot and then just sit and wait. NW Oregon is nasty thick stuff that is basically impossible to walk through and if you try every deer within 10 square miles will know you are there before you take 5 steps. I usually find some edges where the forset and a clearcut area meet and set up just inside the treeline and wait it out.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:01 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:i just drive around in my truck until something in season runs across the road. then i pick up the appropriate gun from the back seat and take a shot. :eek:

nah..just kiddin'. but i'd probably do better if i did. I usually try to pick a spot and then just sit and wait. NW Oregon is nasty thick stuff that is basically impossible to walk through and if you try every deer within 10 square miles will know you are there before you take 5 steps. I usually find some edges where the forset and a clearcut area meet and set up just inside the treeline and wait it out.

:toofunny: Nice Swamps!

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:17 pm

Hey red, when your huntin bears, do you bait them? My only knowledge of bear huntin comes from tv. I just don't like the fact that the bears have there heads stuck in a barrel full of goodies when the guy takes his shot.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:12 am

ACE,
I havnt done a bair bait hunt (yet).

It just depends on how you feel 'bout that stuff. I respect yer oppinion, but I dont have a prob. w/ that. BECAUSE those black bear are responsible for a HUGE majority of all the moose calf deaths.

Folks that do that, are mostly doing it w/ bow or black powder, for predator control. Even if it was w/ a rifle, it is good to be rid of a few black bears, they are fierce predators to all the other game in the woods. -All part of game management (you have to get a permit- they only issue a certain number).

Great ? though! :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Big Game