Duck Hunting Forum banner

7MM Mag Vs. Elk

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  duckninja 
#1 ·
I just bought a Ruger Mark II 7mm Mag this last week for elk hunting... All the ammo I have seen is 150-160 grain. It seems like I want a 180ish grain for elk? That is a VERY large animal and 150gr does not seem like it will have knock down power behind it?

I have always used a 300 mag for elk but gave it to my father and this is my replacement gun...

Thoughts?

BTW - Where I hunt there is a VERY good chance a long shot could be taken (500+ yards).

#2 ·
175 is a mammoth bullet in 7mm.... hold one in your hand and you will see the similarities with a 220+ bullet in .30cal.

the 160 accubond is a good choice. the 150tsx is probably the best bullet for what you want. any weight partition loaded hot will do the job also.

i wouldnt suggest the 175's for the 7rem because of the slower speeds...but do what you want :thumbsup: i like the 160gr sierra match king in the 7mag. its not something id want to shoot into an elks shoulderlike a tsx or partition, but it has better expansion. shoot for vitals, and the 160smk will likely drop them where they stand

#7 ·
I'll say this before someone else does-it's not the size of the bullet, it's where you put the shot. You could easily kill an elk with a 140 grainer if you put it through the lungs. Many, many elk have been killed with the 7 mag, whenever I think too hard about calibers I remember how many elk were killed with the .30-30, .300 savage, .25-35, and even .45-70 in the old days.

#8 ·
I'll agree that bullet placement is important, but the focus of the post is to find the "ideal" bullet for elk hunting. You could kill an elk with a .22 LR, but one would be hard pressed to find a hunter who would use one or a state that allows it for that fact. The fact is when elk hunting a bullet must be able to penetrate a large amount of meat and bone. I have seen cow elk shot with a 30-06 180 grain bullet at 70 yards and the fully mushroomed bullet made it just inside the hide and chest cavity. Now a 160 grain 7mm will have better sectional density, so better penitration than the 30 cal 180 grain. The user also mentioned long shots up to 500+ yards. Good luck doing that with the 30-30 or 300 sav.

#9 ·
bgoldhunter said:
3 choices:

1) 140gr TSX

2) 162gr A Max

3) 168gr Berger

All depending on twist, throat, and mag box constraints.

I'd probably shoot the TSX from a 7RM with a factory Ruger tube.

New trigger on the Ruger is more than worth a thought, if not added yet.
Why a new trigger? Is there something wrong with the factory?

Just a note to everyone - I don't reload... Don't have to time or want. So I am looking for factory made. Thanks!

#10 ·
Never shot a MkII that had a trigger that agreed with me. Lawyer-designed triggers suck and aren't worth the hassle. Timney is a good addition, and well worth the money.

If I was stuck with box ammo, I would go with what I know works. Cor-Bon makes some of the best factory ammo I've ever shot for the money. Norma is pricier, but also great ammo. I'll pay shipping for the brass from 'em if you don't want it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317280

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317280

#11 ·
Fenton-I agree with you about the better SD of the other bullet. Also, I wasn't recommending that he actually use a .30-30 or .300 Savage, but just trying to make the point that a 7mm mag is plenty of gun for an elk, especially compared to what was used in the past, and you can pretty well be sure that you'll kill an elk with a good vitals hit from any of the big-game bullets from it. In other words, try not to over-think it too much!

#12 ·
I have shot a lot of 7mm rounds out of a gun identical to yours. I reload but had great results from a hand loaded round similar to these:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=373

I also had great luck with the Nosler Partition 160gr. bullets. My pet load was a Berger 168gr. but you aren't going to find that in a factory loaded shell. Any bullet 150gr. or heavier will do a fine job on elk. Like Pennsy I don't really like the 175gr. It just doesn't have enough speed out of the pipe to be a great long range bullet.

#13 ·
donttreadonme said:
I have shot a lot of 7mm rounds out of a gun identical to yours. I reload but had great results from a hand loaded round similar to these:

I also had great luck with the Nosler Partition 160gr. bullets. My pet load was a Berger 168gr. but you aren't going to find that in a factory loaded shell. Any bullet 150gr. or heavier will do a fine job on elk. Like Pennsy I don't really like the 175gr. It just doesn't have enough speed out of the pipe to be a great long range bullet.
I like the data on that bullet... I have a simmons 3x9 on it right now (came with it) and want to put a little larger Leupold on there. Then, pick up a box and sight her in!

#14 ·
MM said:
donttreadonme said:

I like the data on that bullet... I have a simmons 3x9 on it right now (came with it) and want to put a little larger Leupold on there. Then, pick up a box and sight her in!
The leupold VX-III 4.5-14 w/ 50mm objective is a great scope. I used that scope with the Boone and Crocket retticle in it and was very pleased with the results.

Good luck with the gun.

#16 ·
Go to the Best of the West web site and you can buy custom loaded 7MM Mag rounds with 168 grain Berger Bullets loaded to 3,050 fps.

These are the same rounds that those guys cleanly kill Elk to 600 plus yards.

Note: I am not recommending you or anyone attempt to shoot at Elk at those ranges without an accurized rifle and a large amount of focused practice shooting at long range with a clear understanding of wind drift.

A pretty skillful shooter with practice and a stable rest should be able to reliably kill Elk at 400 yards on a calm day with the Berger bullet load.

#17 ·
I think if you are considering a 500 plus yard shot, you will have to let the gun decide what bullet to use. Pick up a couple different brands or weights and see which one shoots the best. You are going to need all the accuracy you can get for that far of a shot.

That being said, I would look towards the 160gr slugs personally. Then practice as much as you can to become familiar with this gun/load combo. From personal experience, a gentle breeze can be brutal to a bullets P.O.I. at 500 yards. And don't trust the drop chart on the back of the box or in the manufacturer's catalog, test at actual distances. Good luck on your hunt. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
If your going to use factory loads for elk buy premium bullets such as federal premiums or such. In the long run youll be happy you paid extra.

#20 ·
I understand that you need clean shots... You guys are telling me that like I have never picked up a rifle before :rofl: . I have never shot a 7mm Mag. and did not know which bullet you guys have had good luck with. Until I bought this, the guns of choice (for deer) have been 6mm and 30.06. I have not problem dropping deer at 300-400 yards with either... For elk it has been .300 Win Mag. (Should not have gotten rid of that gun).

Thanks for the advice guys!

I am going to try the Federal rounds and see how they group. As for the scope, Leupod and Nikon are my personal favorites and will pick op one of them. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
Obivously you guys hunt for the rack!!!!!!!!!!! i used a .243 with 100 grain for my when i was a kid and now i use a .25-06 with 117 grain. I like to eat the elk when im done with it. You dont need missiles with heat seeking tips to kill them or know them down its all about shot placement. I can shoot a bull in the guts with one of the missiles and also with a .22 lr and either one will knock them down.

#25 ·
rogeti said:
Obivously you guys hunt for the rack!!!!!!!!!!! i used a .243 with 100 grain for my when i was a kid and now i use a .25-06 with 117 grain. I like to eat the elk when im done with it. You dont need missiles with heat seeking tips to kill them or know them down its all about shot placement. I can shoot a bull in the guts with one of the missiles and also with a .22 lr and either one will knock them down.
I have a .25-06 and love it. Personally a 6mm is my favorite round! But, I don't think you are allowed to use either of those rounds in Colorado. I could be completely wrong about this, it is what my dad told me and I have not researched it. The high caliber guns don't hurt the meat anymore than the rounds you hunt with. Don't quite understand the comment about liking to eat the meat and hunting for the rack?

#26 ·
I think he was saying the big bullets destroy the meat? I would say use the big bullets because there is also an ethical component, as sportsmen we are responsible to deliver a quick death. I think a 7mm would be a great round with about 160 gr. bullet. The difference in destroyed meat can not be that much different between a 243 and 7mm compared to the amount of meat on the elk. A bunny I could understand even a smaller deer but an Elk deserves a big round to end it quickly.

Answer to your reply:

Yes a 243 can kill an elk instantly, even a 22lr but not everyone is going to make a perfect shot every time. I would venture to say that someone using a bigger caliber because they understand the possibility of an errant shot, is probably a person that understands more about shooting than a person using a 22lr, or 243 to hunt a 300+ animal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.