7MM Mag Vs. Elk

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Re: 7MM Mag Vs. Elk

Postby lameduck » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 am

I think he was saying the big bullets destroy the meat? I would say use the big bullets because there is also an ethical component, as sportsmen we are responsible to deliver a quick death. I think a 7mm would be a great round with about 160 gr. bullet. The difference in destroyed meat can not be that much different between a 243 and 7mm compared to the amount of meat on the elk. A bunny I could understand even a smaller deer but an Elk deserves a big round to end it quickly.

Answer to your reply:

Yes a 243 can kill an elk instantly, even a 22lr but not everyone is going to make a perfect shot every time. I would venture to say that someone using a bigger caliber because they understand the possibility of an errant shot, is probably a person that understands more about shooting than a person using a 22lr, or 243 to hunt a 300+ animal.
lameduck
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 pm

Seriously?
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby lameduck » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes, seriously.

If I were an elk hunting guide and someone showed up with a 22 lr, or 243 you know what my question would be?

Are you serious?
lameduck
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:39 am

If a guy showed up with a .243, I'd figure he knew what he was doing and could shoot....
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Generally the larger the bullet, higher velositys, and expanding bullets , will cause more tissue damage and also
a great amout of blood vessle ruptures............

A smaller bullet sometimes will not exit the deer due to the lower energy and on the whole, will not have a big area of hide
and meat that has a bloody area the size a paper plate , however the smaller bullets at high speed can hit a rib and breakup with out deep penetration ,making for a bady wounded animal that will run off.

If you shoot a bullet that will penetrat to a Elks vitals and expand with 1500 ft lbs energy it will work , 1,000 fps is really pushing
ones chances of proper bullet exspansion with todays bullets.

Energy, bullet performance and shot placement is what kills Elk, not how big or small a caliber is.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby duckninja » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:44 pm

I use a .308 or a 30-06. If you know how to shoot, they will not go far. I think the guys that use .300 win mags and such either dont know how to shoot or are trying to compensate for something. I shoot deer with a .223.
"What ever happened to the days when all you needed to go deer hunting was a rifle and a six pack?" -Hank Hill.
duckninja
hunter

Previous

Return to Big Game