Duck Hunting Forum banner

Kindness is so worth it!

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  OkieHunter 
#1 ·
Today while sitting at work, mad as hell that I couldn't go hunting, my cell phone lights up with a call. The call was from a co-worker that was deer hunting 60 acres of mine. This 60 acres consists of strips of standing corn, two decent sized cattail sloughs, and a few water holes...perfect acreage for big bucks. It is almost impossible for anyone to ever get permission to hunt this little slice of heaven because every year there is one or more monsters living in it, whitetails that is.
Back to story...there is a 5x6, 21 inch spread, with 14 inch brow tines, and beams as thick as a louisville slugger living in that 60 acres. I have been watching him since he was 2 or 3 years old and I figured him now to be 6 or 7 years of age. Last weekend, (opening weekend) I saw this buck numerous times and anywhere from 25 yards to 125 yards from me. Knowing that I also had does to kill and had two more weeks to hunt, I let him go each time.
To make a long story short, this buddy of mine has never shot a buck. He has missed time after time and always had to hunt overhunted public land. Last night, my heart told me to call this buddy up and let him onto the land I have previously described. I don't know what possessed me to do this, but it happened. Less than an hour ago, this coworker of mine dropped that monster at 400 yards away and is driving back to town right now with it in his dodge pickup. Sure I didn't get to shoot it, but it made someone's day, moment, and probably life. I know Karma exists and I can't wait for it to hit me in another positive light!

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome story. Even if he did get the monster you were after, at least a mature deer is down and somebody has a trophy. Also at least it was your buddy and not some poacher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.