Opening Weekend Luck?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Opening Weekend Luck?

Postby C_DUbb » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Did anyone have any luck on the archery opening weekend?

I had a nice 4 point mule deer (4 points on one side for you easterners) at about 30 yards for about 20 minutes. He didnt know I was there. Now the whole truth. It was very thick between us, I could only see parts and pieces of him at any given time. Each time I would move to get a better shot, he would move so I couldnt see him.

Yesterday morning I called in a five and a Six point bull elk to about 60 yards from my friend. He just couldnt make the shot happen. Nice bulls though.

C Dubb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:17 pm

Deer season comes in on the 10th. I'll let you know what happens then.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:17 am

Darn you westerners. I've still got two weeks to wait out here. It'll still be 90 degrees too probably. Oh well, I'm sure I'll still get out. A friend of mine has called and said they have two ten pointers that they have been seeing regularly on their ground. The best part is that it is only about 15 minutes from my house.

I'll let you know when it gets here though.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:00 am

I went Sunday evening and shot a nice fat sally. She will be delicious. It is the only time that I have been so far. My brother got his first deer with a bow yesterday morning. We now have 2 does quartered up and sitting in the fridge just ready to be devoured. :salude:
gahunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:31 pm

Boy its hard to beat a tender filet from a fat doe, grilled around medium, or less...Man I can't wait. My last deer spoiled as a result of my parent's deep freezer going out. I had everything vacuum sealed and everything. :oops:

Be safe everyone.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:49 pm

gahunter wrote:I went Sunday evening and shot a nice fat sally. She will be delicious. It is the only time that I have been so far. My brother got his first deer with a bow yesterday morning. We now have 2 does quartered up and sitting in the fridge just ready to be devoured. :salude:

GA, where's your pictures from the hunt? Those deer weren't that small that you are :oops: to show them to us are you?...........JK :laughing: At least you are eating venison. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:51 pm

No, they were nice and fat. Unfortunately, when i went to cut and pack the meat for the freezer, I found out that the frig that the meat was in was left cracked open so all of the meat spoiled. We were all mucho ticked. :pissed: I lost two deer last year when our freezer died. It sucks. I guess I will just have to kill some more.
gahunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:35 pm

Shot a genetically inferior 2 year old Whitetail on the Sept. 17th opener. It was a 14 inch spike on each side, the points curve inward and are less than 1/4 inch from touching one another. I actually decided to take this deer with very little thought behind it. I hunt in an area where no one but myself practices Quality Deer Management (QDM), and each time I pass up a little scrubber, I see it hanging on someone's meatpole come gun season, so that's why I decided to take him. I'm going to do a European mount on him, because he is so unusual. In Wisconsin we have a potential problem with Cronic Wasting Disease (CWD), and the Wisconsin DNR set forth some unbelievably liberal rules on harvesting deer in my perticular unit. I can shoot an endless supply of bucks and does until Oct. 26th. Then after that date, we need to harvest a doe before we harvest a buck, but again we can shoot as many as we want. CWD doesn't scare me. We have never had a positively tested deer in this unit, but they still want us to eradicate the herd entirely. Does anyone else deal with CWD? I hate to say it, but southern Wisconsin's deer hunting traditions have definately changed as we know it. Right now we can be deer Gluttons, but in the very near future we'll be talking about the "good ol' days"! Some of our deer seasons last from Sept. 17 to March with people able to use guns from Oct. 26 til the close in March. Some people are actually embracing the idea of harvesting as many deer as possible. A friend of mine lives next door to a fella that harvested 17 deer off his 13 acre parcel last year. Are there alot of deer in his area? Yes, but that doesn't mean that we need to become "game hogs". I hope this situation never happens to any of you people.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby C_DUbb » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:26 pm

Well I am back. I harvested a VERY young bull on the 20th. We called him in to 6 feet so I could not pass up that opertunity with only 5 days left in the season.

I dont think my picks turned out. Sorry

C Dubb
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:23 pm

My daughter got a doe on the second day of Youth Season. Small, about the size of a full grown lab. But hey, the meat will be tender!

Adult season - bow - opens on the 24th of Sept.

Adult season - rifle - opens 1 Nov.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:10 pm

That sounds like the first deer I ever shot. Guys at the store where I worked kept congratulating me on the trophy red squirrel that I shot. :smile: I just told them that it takes a truely skilled marksman to hit a target that small in the head at the distance of 125 yrds using open sites on a model 94 .30 -.30.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Greg Wile wrote: I just told them that it takes a truely skilled marksman to hit a target that small in the head at the distance of 125 yrds using open sites on a model 94 .30 -.30.

:eek: Wow.... Ok, you put me (and probably darn near the rest of) ya to shame w/ that. Heck, I cant normally hit crap w/ them things :hammering:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Stouff when shooting in the Blk Pdr comps we cut strings at 10 yrds and playing cards on edge have to be completely cut off plus spliting a ball on an axe head so that the ball breaks a clay pigeon on both sides of the axe. This is all free hand/ off hand shooting wit open primative sights. The axe shoot is at 10 to 15 yrds depending on the individual range the shoot is at.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:55 am

Now Dat Dar is sum shootin.

I like watching trick shooting. We do a little with our bows everynow and then

C Dubb
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:22 pm

You have to know your gun and load it the same way every shot. With BP every load is a hand load. :salude:

Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Big Game