shortrange deer

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

shortrange deer

Postby gofishing182 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 pm

hey guys. New to deer hunting. I was scouting for waterfowl the past couple of days and found some great deer spots. My shotgun deer season in mass ends on saturday and i plan to hopefully get one before the end. If i had a gun with me and the proper ammo i could have easilly shot three bucks in the past week :yes: But because i am a rookie at the sport i have a question regarding my gun. I am shooting a mossberg 535 with a 28 inch barrel NON RIFLED. I have been told that it is okay to use a non rifled barrel just dont expect to shoot far. The path the deer have been walking on has been about 40 yards from where i can set up a blind. My question is do i take out any choke i have in the barrel or what? and please if you can give me any information regarding what i should do thanks. I have scent blocker etc.. and i have an attractant that i have used just to see if it works and it works during the rut. Thank you guys.
let the wind be at our backs, let our props never hit bottem and let are reels scream . . . .
gofishing182
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16 pm

iv shot slugs out of my mod. barrel fixed choke and yes i shot deer at 40yds with it but most important i shot that gun with the slugs before i went hunting with it to see how it shot
clemaire2
hunter

Postby gofishing182 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:11 am

thanks clemaire2, i just got back from the range. i can shoot reasonably well with it from about 80 yards and in. hopefully ill be able to find that little herd i saw a couple days ago. Thanks again
let the wind be at our backs, let our props never hit bottem and let are reels scream . . . .
gofishing182
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:07 pm

not a problem
clemaire2
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:14 am

DON'T shoot your gun without a choke tube.

Use the old type rifled slugs and use improved cylinder choke.

You should be fine out past 40 yards.

Check how it shoots at the range, without sights it takes a bit of getting used to.

If it's something you plan on doing more of you might want to pick up a slug barrel for your gun.
cjg
hunter

Return to Big Game