caliber for moose

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

caliber for moose

Postby Donald » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:35 pm

im going on my first moose hunt this fall wont be the last either and sometime in the future im would like to whack a elk
the 2 calibers i was looking at is .325WSM and a 7mm rem mag
has anyone had good and bad experiances with these guns
i cant really find any guns that come in the .325 WSM but like the 200 gram bullet cause i wont be shooting over 300 yards i dont think
thanks
Donald
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 pm

I own both and I like the .325 alot. Its a good gun and came very accurate out of the box. Browning Abolt

7mm is a great caliber to.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:44 pm

I have an A-bolt in .325WSM also. I love it.
Then I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mil-mag.

Both great guns and calibers. I would go with the .325 just because of the 200 and even 220gr capability.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby donttreadonme » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:11 am

I would go with the 7mm. It is a more versatile rifle IMO. It will also be more comfortable to shoot so you are less likely IMO to develop a flinch when shooting. You can load it up with a 180 gr. bullet and easily kill a moose with it. I have a cousin and an uncle that have both taken very nice moose with 270's shooting a Sierra Game King 150gr. at 200+ yards. The 7mm is more than adequate to kill a moose. It is all about putting the bullet where it counts no matter the caliber.
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:14 pm

I agree with dontread. 7mm is probably a better choice. Although when I go moose hunting Im going to be packing a 45-70. (Thats not fair I pack that gun for everything)

Brush gun lovers are a small but devoted group. Like 16 gauge guys I would think.

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

jrockncash
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 am

IMO Moose aren't nearly as hardy as a big whitetail. I'd take any gun over .270 with proper bullet selection or any big pistol.

I have a lot of interest in the new .375 Ruger. I generally dislike specialty rounds like the WSM's because the added cost rarely offsets the performance increase. 200 fps doubles the cost? No thanks From what I've read though the .375 seems to be a great compromise of cross section and ballistics and recoil. I own a .375 H&H mag which is a legendary shoulder buster and the new ruger out performs it and kicks less than the .325 WSM. The 325 is probably the only WSM I'd consider owning, because it's a good compromise as well with no non WSM sibling.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Any quality bullet from .277 or larger with a minimum of 1,000
ft/lbs of energy at impact range will do the trick.

The little 30/30 worked in the old days with shots under 100 yards
and 50 yards even better !!

A heart,lung or just below the shoulder hump to break the spine will do the job..................

Good hunting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:52 am

First let me say that I have never moose hunted, so I have no practicle expirence. However I have done a lot of research because I plan to one day.

Minimum Cartridges "will reduce range & require a very good hit"
.308 win
7mm rem mag
"I feel these are the bare minmum to moose hunt"

Adiquate Cartidges "Will get the job done"
.30-06
.300 wsm
.300 wm
.300 wbm

Ideal "best choices"
.325 WSM
.338 Win Mag

7mm loses out due to lack of frontal area, sorry but its true. We can argue the sectional denisty all day, but this is a moose not an elk! .30 cal bullets are not idea because the again lack the frontal area and energy! Anything in the .338 win mag class is a moose gun. Now that being said would a .308 kill a moose at 200 yards; sure it will! However if I am spending 5K and shooting at a 1500 LBS moose I sure as hell want the biggest damn gun I can shoot!

Food for thought!

Basically I would not go with the 7mm unless you are buying this as your North American hunting rifle (i.e. you can only afford one rifle), because there are many better choices. I chose the .300 wsm because I am in that class of people - one rifle - all game. If I could have a rifle for just Big Bodied North American game it would be a .325 wsm!

I have owned a 7mm rem mag, and sold it to buy the .300 wsm! Better bullet selection, more power, more frontal area, and can be loaded to similar sectional density and trajectory! Just my .02 cents, so don't attack me. I think everyone in this chat knows that if you asked 10 people what the best rifle round was you would get several differnt answers!
fenton_3
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 pm

I agree with the "big enough" gun theory. I have never even seen, much less hunted or killed a moose, but I have an old friend that used to hunt all over the United States and Canada. He has killed everything, including a BIG brown bear, with a 270 w/ remington 130 gr bullets. He said that moose were "wimps" compared to elk. Any good bullet through the vital's should fill your tag. :thumbsup:

p.s. If I was invited to go moose hunting this week, I would be taking my 300 WSM with 180gr Nosler Accubonds and be on my way.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Between those choices, 7 Mag every time....and I'd go anything .284 over any .30 or .277 cal easily.

But then, I could show you a kid who has nailed a moose with a 243/85gr TSX the last two years.

Redgun is right...moose ain't elk, and neither can read headstamps.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:22 am

As you can see from all the post you should probably just buy the one you like the best because it will work! In fact you can Moose hunt in Alaska with a .22 lr, but only if the moose is in the water!

Good luck and I hope you shoot a wall hanger!
fenton_3
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Moose die easy. I shot one last season with a .300 WM. Good placement but if I had made the same shot on an elk or deer it would have gone a lot farther. The moose went a couple of yards and bedded down waiting for me to walk up to it and finish the job. I used 180gr. bullet. and slid it in behind the shoulder from 200yds. I have also taken elk with that cartridge but I stepped it up to .300RUM this season to give me a little more energy at distance.

Take other factors into consideration like reloadability, ammo price, ammo availability, ballistics, room to go after other species. To the dude with the frontal area theory, that is just plain ridiculous, the difference in diameter between .300 and .338 is so slight. Things like proper bullet selection, placement and energy are far more significant.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby killmaster » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:03 am

My dad dropped a Big bull, not sure on size, in Northern BC with one 300 yard shot from a 300 Weatherby. Went down like a sack of bricks.

But in contrast a Mountain Goat he shot up there as well took one straight through the lungs and walked calmly away, only to be found half an hour later still alive and required a second to stop him from getting back up running away.

Take it as you will.

Good luck with your hunt. I can't wait till I get a chance at a moose too.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby duckcommanderfinstr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Any of those calibers will cleanly kill a moose out to 300yds with proper bullet placement. I've shot 8 moose now -all with a 7mm Rem mag using 150 gr Core-lokt bullets. The closest was 10 feet- from a tree stand and the farthest was 246yds across the corner of the bay. all of those moose never went any farther than 20 yds before dropping.
All the nay sayers that hate Core-loks will tell you not to use them but they worked for me everytime.
I've since sold that gun & bought a .300 Weatherby & use 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets but haven't killed any moose yet.
Hope this helps-moose really arent too tough.The natives up here use a 30-30 on moose. NOT something I wold do! :no:
I hunt.....because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckcommanderfinstr
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:33 pm

A 30-30 with 170gr bullet has 1600 ftlbs of energy at 50 yards.

A 7mm with 150 gr bullets has 1545 ftlbs of energy at 300 yards.

Maybe the Natives get close and dont take long shots.

jrockncash
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out Jrock, or I was going to.

I think 30-30 is the most under rated round out there, and with modern ammo, it has a lot more flexibility than it used to.

Heck, with hornady's Lever Revolution rounds, with a 160 gr bullet you can get 1643 ft-lbs at 100 yds.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duckcommanderfinstr » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:48 pm

jrockncash wrote:Maybe the Natives get close and dont take long shots.

Yeah,they drive right up to 'em on a snowmobile & wipe out the whole herd! They don't have to abide by any game laws like the rest of us. Then they sell the meat (illegal for us too) to buy more booze.
Now you got me started. :mad:
I hunt.....because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckcommanderfinstr
hunter

Re: caliber for moose

Postby upwind » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Here IS my two cents .Yes both guns will work fine but moose dont always go down as easy as the people on the this
topic are telling you i live and hunt moose every year . I use a 338 my brother has the 325. If i was coming to alaska
hunting i would get the biggest gun you can shoot without flinching because you will also be in bear country.Ask youre
self what gun would feel safer with when a momma bear with cubs come to still your moose away from you and yes it
happens more than you think or here about. :eek:
upwind
hunter

Postby Rather Be Hunting » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:34 pm

forget the 325 or 7mm, did you consider a 300 wm or wsm. the factory ammo choices are 10 times that of either other caliber you are looking at. 30cal is probably one of the versatile calibres out there. for 100gr to 220gr the choices are almost endless.
Rather Be Hunting
hunter

Postby prarie_boy1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:54 pm

This is a great thread lots to learn about people's experience with different calibers used while moose hunting. I would like to share something that a friend of mine who has been guiding for moose for longer than I have been alive told me. Just today infact we were sharing stories of past hunts and talking about this very topic, I explained to him how my go to moose gun while boat hunting is a savage model 99 .308 shooting a 150 grain partition and he replied that he liked to use a .30-06 with the 180 grain partitions. Then he continued to tell me that over a 15-20 year period people began to show up at camp with guns like the .30-30, .30-06, .308, .270 and rarely someone would bring a .300 win mag and these calibers worked great because they were guns people knew how to shoot and paired with a good bullet were more than adequate for the biggest bulls. Then in more recent times a person would rarely see a .30-06 at moose camp and guns like the .300 RUM, .338 win, .300weatherby etc....became more popular and funny enough as the calibers went up the success rate on shots past 100 yards which aren't all that common while moose hunting went down drastically and there was less of a success rate because people would go out and spend X amount of dollars on the latest super mag and best glass and show up with a garbage box of walmart ammo and not be able to hit the broad side of a barn at 100 yards on the practice range. So one fellow in particular came back two years later not with a .300 ultra this time but with a .30-06 and a box of Barnes X bullets he had listened to what my old friend had taught him and the first evening of his hunt he dropped a 65" bull in its tracks from a hair under 150 yards kneeling down with no rest. Moral of the story know how to use your equipment know its limitations and invest in a good quality box of premium ammo don't worry about who has the biggest cannon in camp because more times than not they come home empty handed it seems.

That being said I am just on my way to the range this evening to sight in my .338 win mag :lol: not because I need it or will use it to hunt moose this fall because I live in a free country and can shoot any damn gun I want!!
prarie_boy1
hunter

Postby don taylor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:36 pm

Excellent post.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:10 am

:ditto:
With the availability of calibers ranging from the old favorites to the newer "designer cartridges", ever changing components, improved ballistics of wildcats or existing calibers, etc. there are still some undeniable factors when it comes to putting an animal on the ground. One must know their rifle inside and out, be able to shoot it well from varying rest positions and must know, understand and abide by their personal range limitations. Ask any guide and they would rather have a client with a .308 that could shoot a deck of cards at 300 yards than somebody with a 30-378 WBY that couldn't hit a barn door from across the street. After all, regardless of the range, caliber and projectile (as long as all are within reason for the task at hand) it all comes down putting the bullet where it counts.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:03 am

I am not going to say this caliber or that one is the ticket for moose. You have stated that you want a caliber that will kill a moose out to 300 yards so you need to get one that is accurate enough and packs enough energy at that distance. Do your home work and practice with that gun until you can shoot it without flinching. I my-self would rather get a caliber that will take a moose humanly at a closer range and use my hunting skills to get in close. That being said any gun capable of taking big White tails and Black bears will also take moose. This is why I would not hesitate to use a .30-30 165 or 170 grain, .303 Brit. 180 grain, 6.5x55 Swede 140 grain or my .50 cal Lyman Trade rifle with a Lee Reel bullet at 375 grains and 90 grains of FFG. What ever choice you make take the time to practice at the ranges you expect to be taking your shot from, good luck.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Big Game