Bought a new rifle...feedback please

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Bought a new rifle...feedback please

Postby DeadEye81 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:28 am

Ok,
A few weeks ago, my wife tells me to go and buy myself a new deer rifle and scope. I did sell one of mine right before Christmas to get a few more gifts for my children and so I think she felt bad for me making the sacrifice and thus...I have a new rifle.

After looking at many different rifles, I decided on a Tikka T3 .243, Stainless and black synthetic, with a stainless Leupold 3X9 Stainless. I got the whole package for $660 and can't wait to shoot it. I know many hunters consider a .243 too small to hunt big game, but I have shot many Mule deer and Whitetail deer at around 200 yards with my first .243 and don't think it lacks power at all.

Have any of you guys shot a Tikka? What are your thoughts?
There are two kinds of people with guns...those who live to just shoot & those who shoot to live! ~Eat what you shoot or don't shoot at all!~
DeadEye81
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:34 am

One of the most accurate out-of-the-box guns you can buy. :thumbsup:

The only thing I wish they would change, start making a short action!
REDGUN
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:11 am

My cousin has one. Its a sweet piece and all I know is it is a tack driver. :thumbsup:
hillman raider
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:22 pm

i've heard nothing but good things about them
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:27 am

Then .243 is diffentally not a "small game" gun. I've killed a many of deer and where i'm at now the natives use the .243 as a primary weapon of choice. But anyhow I have the T3 7 mag and love it. Got a nice kick to it so i'm thinking about getting a muzzle break though.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cjg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 pm

I have a muzzle brake on one of my guns and I hate it. It deafens you to shoot without ear plugs, ears ring for hours. I'm thinking of cutting off the end of the barrel to get rid of it.
cjg
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:05 am

:hijacked:

cjg, muzzle breaks are threaded on. If you don't like it for hunting, have a gunsmith make a "muzzle cap" for you. When not at the range, take off the break and screw on the cap. :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 am

Tikka was a Sako designed gun line. They have a great rep, unless your a Sako owner. Sako owners only like sako's and nit pick Tikkas. I owned a Sako Forrester and a Finnbear. Both are older guns made before Tikka was part of the fold, and unless I was offered insane money for them, I'd still have them.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 am

REDGUN wrote::hijacked:

cjg, muzzle breaks are threaded on. If you don't like it for hunting, have a gunsmith make a "muzzle cap" for you. When not at the range, take off the break and screw on the cap. :thumbsup:

Some aftermarkets can be removed, Some are holes drilled into the barrel. It depends on your gunsmith and your choice. Magna Port for example is non removable.

The ones that are permenant are technically better and technically worse at the same time. Removable brakes have multi directional ports generally while a permenant one's generally are directional and more efficent. You also lose barrel length on the drill job.

Sorry for helping Jack the thread.

Now where were we?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby killmaster » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am

I have a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM that a friend willed to me when he passed. Great gun right there, very accurate and with the WSM lots of reach out power.
NRA Life Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
DRAKE: End of story.
killmaster
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:59 pm

don taylor wrote:
Some aftermarkets can be removed, Some are holes drilled into the barrel. It depends on your gunsmith and your choice. Magna Port for example is non removable.

I would classify magna-port as a ported barrel, not muzzle break. But good point Don :thumbsup:

Everyone, as you were.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby youngunforfun » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 am

.243 great cal. i think i have a ruger though just a sweet shootin gun. also shoot 300 win. mag muzzle break no way ha.. man up and shoot them or pack a smaller gun bench shooting them will warm you right up though .things destroy your ears
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." Edward Abbey
youngunforfun
Newb

Return to Big Game