Duck Hunting Forum banner

Bought a new rifle...feedback please

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  youngunforfun 
#1 ·
Ok,
A few weeks ago, my wife tells me to go and buy myself a new deer rifle and scope. I did sell one of mine right before Christmas to get a few more gifts for my children and so I think she felt bad for me making the sacrifice and thus...I have a new rifle.

After looking at many different rifles, I decided on a Tikka T3 .243, Stainless and black synthetic, with a stainless Leupold 3X9 Stainless. I got the whole package for $660 and can't wait to shoot it. I know many hunters consider a .243 too small to hunt big game, but I have shot many Mule deer and Whitetail deer at around 200 yards with my first .243 and don't think it lacks power at all.

Have any of you guys shot a Tikka? What are your thoughts?

#5 ·
Then .243 is diffentally not a "small game" gun. I've killed a many of deer and where i'm at now the natives use the .243 as a primary weapon of choice. But anyhow I have the T3 7 mag and love it. Got a nice kick to it so i'm thinking about getting a muzzle break though.

#8 ·
Tikka was a Sako designed gun line. They have a great rep, unless your a Sako owner. Sako owners only like sako's and nit pick Tikkas. I owned a Sako Forrester and a Finnbear. Both are older guns made before Tikka was part of the fold, and unless I was offered insane money for them, I'd still have them.

#9 ·
REDGUN said:
:hijacked:

cjg, muzzle breaks are threaded on. If you don't like it for hunting, have a gunsmith make a "muzzle cap" for you. When not at the range, take off the break and screw on the cap. :thumbsup:
Some aftermarkets can be removed, Some are holes drilled into the barrel. It depends on your gunsmith and your choice. Magna Port for example is non removable.

The ones that are permenant are technically better and technically worse at the same time. Removable brakes have multi directional ports generally while a permenant one's generally are directional and more efficent. You also lose barrel length on the drill job.

Sorry for helping Jack the thread.

Now where were we?

#12 ·
.243 great cal. i think i have a ruger though just a sweet shootin gun. also shoot 300 win. mag muzzle break no way ha.. man up and shoot them or pack a smaller gun bench shooting them will warm you right up though .things destroy your ears

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.