Duck Hunting Forum banner

Elk Hunting

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fitzguy 
#1 ·
Hey all. I'm planning my first elk hunt for Oct/Nov of 2010. I figure this will give me lots of time to learn and to weigh out several options. Right now I'm looking at doing a public land hunt in Colorado. From what I can tell this is about the best bet for a non-res, because I can buy OTC tags and still have a good chance at bagging an elk.

Here are some details about what I'm looking at doing.
A non-guided hunt
I'm not looking for a trophy bull, if it comes to it, I'll take a cow as I would like to bring home some meat
I plan on renting horses once I get out there so getting off the roads shouldn't be a problem

One specific question: Are all units available for OTC tags during the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons?

If anyone has some information on where to go, that would be great. I'm not looking for specific unit numbers although they would be great, but just some a general part of the state.

Other than that any general do's and don'ts would be great.

Thanks for the help

See less See more
#2 ·
Actually there are more units in Colorado that you can't buy over the counter than over the counter, but some units you can. If you are looking for an over the counter bull tag then you don't reaaly have a chance of getting a trophy. If youre looking for a cow you can go down by Bailey and there is pleanty of public land. The units are 46 and 501.

#3 ·
Try units 12 and 13 near Craig, they are divided by Highway 317 which runs east and west. These two units have some of the highest kill percentages in the State of Colorado. Try hunting the BLM and State School Fund land off the Kenz Divide Road which runs North and South and parallel to Route 13. There is a ton of BLM, State and School land out there. Access sometimes can be tough and the easy terrain gets pounded. Buy an either sex elk tag and have fun. Don't bother buying a Mule Deer tag, the 2007-2008 winter really hit them hard. The 2008 season is the first time in nine years of hunting out there that I didn't see a mulie bigger than a fork horn. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.