Moose Season draws to a close

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Moose Season draws to a close

Postby akbrett » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:59 pm

Well, moose season is drawing to a close here in South Central Alaska. It was another exciting, yet frustraiting affair. I wasn't able to get one this year, however, the freezer will not be completely empty this winter. It pays to have friends who draw "any bull" tags. :smile:

I had to pass on 3 different bulls this year, and had the same one come in twice. The 50 inch rule is a very frustraiting stipulation. One of the bulls that I passed on was definately a mature bull and has probably got a 50 1/8" spread, but I know that if I had pulled the trigger he'd measured 49 7/8". How are you supposed to play this stupid guessing game???

The area where I hunt is a 3 brow tine or 50" area and has been that way for a long time. What is interesting is that almost every bull I have seen over the last 3 years, throughout the year and not just in season, have only 2 brow tines. Everyone knows that genetics plays an important role in anlter growth, so I wonder if the 3 brow tine rule hasn't worked in Darwin's favor. I have collected about 25 different shed antlers from this area and all of those exept for two, which were quite old, also only had two brow tines. So that leaves me trying to figure out if those antlers spread to that magical 50" or not (which can be difficult to tell in the alders on an animal that is constantly moving).

How do the rest of you guys deal with challenging regulations such as these?? Oh well, maybe one of these days. For now I'll just have to wait for next years season to begin.
akbrett
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:18 pm

The 50" stipulation would be tuff. Down here in MO, we have a 4 point on one side regulation on whitetails. It really doesn't bother me, because the group I hunt with and me only shoot trophy bucks anyway. I guess for this reason I like it, because then the ones I pass on don't run to the next farm and get shot.

I've never really understood the need for horns mentality anyway. I mean you talk to these guys and they'll say "yeah I got me a buck" and then you find out it's a little fork horn or spike buck. Big deal, if you shoot a doe, the meat tastes better and you can let that little buck grow up a little. God knows the population of deer isn't going to suffer from this in most places.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Big Game