Duck Hunting Forum banner

New muzzloader

473 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MissedAgain 
#1 ·
Hi I have been looking to buy me a new muzzleloader. but I would like to keep the price a lil low. do any of you guys know what would be a good muzzleloader to get for under 250$. thanks

#2 ·
Go to Walmart and see what they have. Sometimes they have great buys. You can get a cheap inline for about $100.

I recently bought a CVA Wolf and it shoots okay - it won't pattern worth anythign with 100 gr or more of powder and it does NOT like heavy bullets. It cleans up okay and will shoot the new black powder alternative - I forget what it is called - non-corrosive stuff - the way to go!!!

A cheaper gun is going to shoot pretty well - think 100-150 yards max. Get a .50 cal. Plan on shooting loose powder in the 60-80 gr (by volume) range to get the best accuracy with most sabots and conicals. The HTP sabots will shoot very well - Powerbelts shoot pretty good too and with a light load of powder are reported to be great deer killers.

You'll want to get a range rod (1-piece loading & cleaning rod) - you'll also want to clean the gun after every 3-6 shots - use a 50-50 mix of rubbing alcohol and windshield washer fluid (I'm not kidding) - stuff works great. Give it a full cleaning & oiling when you get home.

Get a halfway decent scope.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.