Duck Hunting Forum banner

Wall Tents

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  cjg 
#1 ·
Anyone use a wall tent for hunting out of? I'm looking at getting a Cabelas Big Horn III for a November deer hunt. I want something that will take a wood stove and have plenty of room for me and my gear.

#2 ·
Hey CJG

I purchased a Cabelas Alaknack 2 12 x 20 outfitter tent along with the Tundra wood stove a month ago for Maine moose hunting. I have not used it yet but did set it up in the backyard. It was a breeze to set up it only took about 30 minutes the first time. I can do it in about 15 to 20 minutes now. Looks to be good quality and has lots of room. Cabelas is having a very good Tent sale right now check out their web site. Check out the reviews on the tents on their web site that should help with your decision on what you buy.

#3 ·
Were you able to set it up by yourself? I saw the sale, the one I want they're throwing in a stove, but I already have one. I know some guys with that Alaknack and when it snows they have some problems, that's why I was going to try the Bighorn.

#5 ·
I've owned a Davis wall tent and have hunted out of it now for 5 years. I would recommend a Davis tent 100%, it has been the best investment I have made in gear in a long time (they are based out of Denver). I've used my tent in Wyoming in snow storms and hellacous winds as well as in Tennessee in some really wet heavy snow during winter hog hunts - it has always held up well. Dry and strong, no issues.

I recommend calling them before you buy from a chain store. When I ordered my tent, I spoke several times with the owner of the company and he was really helpful in choosing appropriate options. He even turned me down on a couple of accessories that I wanted to order - he told me 'save your money,' and gave me better ideas, rather than just running up a big order. I was impressed, not too many places you can get service like that. Plus, the owner and his family are hunters just like us.

#6 ·
puddleduck said:
I had my son help me set it up but I belive I would be able to set it up myself if I needed it to. What kind of problems where they having when it snowed?
They were up off and on all night knocking the snow off the roof.

Good luck on your moose hunt, what zone did you draw? Definately not as easy now as when I got drawn in 82, they don't hang out in the road as long as they used to.

#7 ·
Wild Bob said:
I've owned a Davis wall tent and have hunted out of it now for 5 years. I would recommend a Davis tent 100%, it has been the best investment I have made in gear in a long time (they are based out of Denver). I've used my tent in Wyoming in snow storms and hellacous winds as well as in Tennessee in some really wet heavy snow during winter hog hunts - it has always held up well. Dry and strong, no issues.

I recommend calling them before you buy from a chain store. When I ordered my tent, I spoke several times with the owner of the company and he was really helpful in choosing appropriate options. He even turned me down on a couple of accessories that I wanted to order - he told me 'save your money,' and gave me better ideas, rather than just running up a big order. I was impressed, not too many places you can get service like that. Plus, the owner and his family are hunters just like us.
Good looking tents, thanks for the reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.