Duck Hunting Forum banner

First Deer Rifle

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Ilovesidebysides 
#1 ·
On a budget, but I am looking to buy my first deer rifle...suggestions?

#6 ·
Your first can be your last. Buy exactly what you want and don't skimp. I'd personally buy a pre 64 model 70 Winchester in .243 and get a old Redfield scope. That way you have a solid investment that if you take care of will always be worth what you paid, or more. I also have a place in my heart for my '71 BLR .308 and the 7600 remington pump 30.-06. I don't know what style your looking for, but I'd buy a classic.

#8 ·
How big are you? How old are you? I mean where talking about a long list of guns here. Now as a kid my first rifle was a .243 which was perfect for my build. Now that i'm older I have a 7mag which would of put me on my ass as a kid. so...

#9 ·
Depending on where you hunt I'd go with a 30-30 for 150 yards or less, or a 308 or 270 for longer shots. I like the 270 a little more than the 30-06 but you really can't go wrong with either. You can get a good, accurate out of the box rifle for $400 from any number of gunmakers. I'd rather have a $400 gun with a $400 scope than a $700 gun with a $100 scope.

#10 ·
My son bought his first rifle last year: Browning BLR in 308. Nice rifle, good open sights but easily scoped. Quick handling, lightweight, accurate rifle. Were I starting over again, I would buy a BLR. Still might anyway! I told him if he ever decides to give up hunting, I get first crack at that gun.
Lots of other calibres available in a BLR to suit your hunting grounds. I convinced him that 308 was a good versatile cartridge for the majority of his hunting, at least for now. Was a toss-up betwen the 308 and a 270 WSM, also avail in the BLR.

#12 ·
I agree with Andy. It all depends on where you hunt. if you only plan to hunt deer no mater where your from a Bolt Action .270 is a great choice. But if you hunt heavy cover at close ranges a Lever action 45-70 might suit you better. These cartriges are at the opposite end of the spetrun as far as rifles go. The flat shooting relativly open country gun vs an cannon for snap shooting at running game at close range

#13 ·
It is hard to beat the versatility of a 30-06. You can buy off the shelf ammo from 150gr all the way up to 220gr. They even make some ammo that is larger and smaller, but harder to find. I have a ruger 30-06 and love it. I bought it b/c I have been moving around the last couple of years, and with proper ammo selection and shot placement, I can take out almost anything in North America.

But as everyone else has said, deer can be killed with anything from a .243 on up to a 45/70 or some obscure mag round. If it was just going to be a white tail gun, .270 is also hard to beat. I tend to stay away from magnum rounds. Off the shelf ammo is more expensive and harder to find.

#15 ·
You might also look into a quality gun case that is padded,and will keep the gun dust free for those hunts
in dry areas and let you shoot even though it was dropped during the trip.

Always nice after four days of off roading to know when you finally spot the target the the gun will be clean and ready to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.