Looking for some dove hunting advice

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Looking for some dove hunting advice

Postby aftershox454 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey guys,

Getting itchy for Goose season and now that they cancelled the September Goose Hunt in Eastern Washington I need a way to spend the days that I took off for it.

I would like to hunt some Doves, but have no idea what to do or how to do it. I see em alot and what I really want to know is the best strategy. Should I get up under some burlap and wait for em, walk and stalk, can you decoy them?

any advice someone is willing to throw my way would be helpful.
Thanks
Alex
aftershox454
hunter

Re: Looking for some dove hunting advice

Postby MerkEm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Round here we usually set up on sunflower fields or some kind of food source.. But have done well hunting around ponds, or large dead trees, and also around our farm irrigation eqpt.... Im sure you can do just about anything to get them(walk, wait em out,or decoy them) hope this helps you some
MerkEm
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 am

Merkem got it.
When I first started hunting them I would join the crowds and help surround a sunflower, safflower, or milo field. Always fun... but I never got more than 5-6 normally more like 3-4. With so many people I felt lucky if they got to me, normally they just get cut down and then the few stragglers alter their flight paths as all the knuckle heads empty their guns. But what can I say it's what got me into hunting when I was young.

Now, after much scouting I have found a nice oak grove that the doves roost in, not far from a lake where they go for water, pretty sure they get there food by the water. Anyhow I have found there flight path (a "highway" through the trees) and just sit and wait for them to go to and from their resting spot and their feeding/watering hole. not nearly as much competition = more doves.

Anyhow I would suggest you drive around look for doves then find out where they eat, sleep, and drink. Good luck
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Jonny Rocket » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 am

I agree with these guys. Might just add that doves will feed right at sunrise, so if you can find a food source sit on the edge at first light and wait for them to come in. Shortly thereafter they will head to water, which is another good place to park it. Then just as it starts to get hot they will head for the trees to roost during the mid-day sun. Good luck.
Read about it at www.hunteatlive.com
Jonny Rocket
hunter

Postby aftershox454 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:34 am

thanks for all the help guys!!
aftershox454
hunter

Return to Upland Game