Ruffed Grouse Pics

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Ruffed Grouse Pics

Postby drakehntr » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 pm

I've always lived in Pheasant and Quail country, but moved to mountain forrest areas within the last couple years. Finally figuring out where to find these Grouse. Fun shooting. Have gotten 7 so far and the season is early. Tasty birds as well. We crockpotted them with salsa, chicken broth, and red potatoes. Yummy.

2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Re: Ruffed Grouse Pics

Postby AAR » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Congrats on the fine grouse hunting :thumbsup: I'm leaving tomorrow to WA in search of Franklin's,Huns, and Valley Quail. The amount of upland diversity in WA is just unreal, lucky lucky guy to live in a place like that!

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby cjg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 pm

We have bunches of them here in Maine, some years are better than others, but you can usually find some. When I go deer hunting in northern Maine I shoot them with my 410 pistol, not uncommon to get 3 or 4 a day without trying to hard. I grew up hunting these birds in old apple orchards and alder thickets with no dog, some of my fondest hunting memories. Also my favorite thing to eat bar none, we soak them in italian dressing and grill them or fillet them and fry in butter. Have some fried with some home fried potatoes and it doesn't get any better. We call them Pa'tridge here only people from away call them grouse. I have a gordon setter that I use to hunt them now and he does a pretty good job.
cjg
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:07 pm

Very nice bird, the ones we have here are much greyer than yours, you guys must have the red morph up there.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:53 pm

We have both red and gray here, never know which one you're gonna get, might get both in the same area.
cjg
hunter

Postby bamanative85 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:51 pm

nice bird. I live in puyallup and I shot my first grouse this year during early deer season and loved the taste. Might go out this weekend just for grouse. Cooking tip: Deep frie breast pieces in flour after seasoning with lemon pepper.
"They call it huntin not killin"

09-10
blacktail deer 1
geese-2
ducks-0
grouse-1
pheasant-1
bamanative85
hunter

Return to Upland Game