Quest for Lesser Prairie Chickens

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Quest for Lesser Prairie Chickens

Postby AAR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 am

Just returned from Kansas last night making it into Corpus christi at about 7pm. In all I logged a shade over 2300 miles for the trip since I left on noon sunday. The first day gave us that nice negative degree windchill and snow to fall down just perfect so you had problems seeing things. That day we hit a few different spots and fan into a decent number of pheasants but no chickens.

Snowy fields were a common scene for the trip.

I didn't take a picture of my first pheasant from the day because of the weather and we were moving from area to area. The 2nd day was worse in being colder and now the wind was heavier really kicking the snow around. Most of that day I let my hunting buddy get first dibs on shots to get him some birds under the belt. He ended up with this nice rooster.I did end up getting a chicken hen that was a pass shot and I can say that since I had never taken a hen myself it meant more to me than the nice male I'd be running into the next day.

Just beautiful birds!

On the third day the windchill was -20 and below. The sun was out at least and after all that marching in horrible weather we ran into some chickens. It was fast and furious like anything else out there but I knocked down a perfect male making it a pair of chickens and 2 pheasants to take back home. Since the weather was so bad and didn't take the pictures I wish I would have, did take some nice fencepost pics back at my dad's house to have something to show and look at.

Lesser Prairie Chicken Male

Lesser Prairie Chicken female

The batch

Male and female tail shot

They have such cool patterns

All in all I am very happy with the hunt, I wish my buddy could have got his chicken but it wasn't for lack of effort. Time will tell if there will be a next year for the Lesser, that is why I went this year and feel very fortunate that especially with the weather conditions some nice birds were able to be gotten.

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: Quest for Lesser Prairie Chickens

Postby AAR » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Some new pics.

First pheasant on the first day

Typical prairie scenery

Me and my big ol' chicken male. they were sitting right by that fence on top of the hill. The vegetation was so sparce right there you wouldn't have guessed chickens would have been there with the high winds and the cold but there they were.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Looks like your luck is changing good looking birds.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby AAR » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Man Mike it was tough. I got lucky on the chickens but will take that anytime. Hope everything is going good up there :thumbsup:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby hovey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:27 am

Where did you guys hunt at in Kansas. The pics kinda look like Greensburg. My brother shot a real nice lesser down there last year. Nice pics, and congrats on the chickens.
hovey
hunter

Return to Upland Game