Duck Hunting Forum banner

Federal Prairie Storm? Anybody used it yet?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bret 
#1 ·
This looks good looks to be the black cloud in lead, I was to the point that I was gunna just start using black clouds for pheasant hunting but if these bad boys are what they look like I will just try them out. I will be shooting a Browning a-5 mod or a Mossberg 835 w/a carlsons ex full choke. You guys let me know what your luck and patterns are on these suckers.

Thanks,
Jerrod

Edit here is a link to google shopping, and prairie storms website, for them if this isnt kosher take it down I have no issues with it.

http://www.google.com/products?q=prairi ... gg&show=dd

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=903

#3 ·
hi i used the praire storm this year on our pheasant hunt in iowa . the first opportunity,the rooster was blown apart. after that i let them go out a bit more. the p.s. was deadly to 30 yards. no cripples,legs would drop and birds were down. i was using a ithaca 37 full choke.with my border collie,flash. i have used the fiochi goldens before that. the copper shot and better shells are worth the xtra money. we come from all over the country to hunt in iowa and why screw around. get the best you can,to make your hunt fun and successfull.

#4 ·
I have not been a fan of the black coulds or the prairie storms, but i have only tried a limited amount of them. I bought a box of each and was no impressed. I shoot a SBE II with a IM or Mod choke and will only shoot federal copper plated #5's at pheasant. The shells i shoot run 1550fps and will knock em down at 50 yards easily. You might try using a little lighter choke if you plan on using the PS shells, they tend to hold a tighter pattern anyways.

#5 ·
It is deadly stuff! I shot it at wild pheasant all year. Pattern your gun though it shoots way tight compared to other choke load combos. The old federal premium Pheasants forever stuff 1 1/4 oz of copper coated 5's at around 1500 fps hit just as hard in my opinion but this stuff definitely patterns tighter than the old.

I shot the 2 3/4 in 1 1/4 oz number 5s mostly, and one box of the same load in #4s that was just fine as well.

#6 ·
I shot Remington Mag #6 last season and had no issues with wounded birds. I think they were $9 a box. My theory is that if you shoot well you can kill them with whatever. True, the Prairie Storm does look cool but I don't see where they will provide an extra $8 a box worth of performance

#7 ·
There is no question that that kind of round kills roosters I shot 1 1/4 oz of lead at 1330FPS through all of the 80's and most of the 90's, and really thought highly of it. It was a herco load much like that Remington load, and there isn't a thing wrong with them. A lot of guys still shoot them and love them.
When the Federal P.F. 1500FPS 1 1/4 oz Copper Coated lead loads came out I bought a box sceptically, but I was never been able to go back to my reload. When hunting wild roosters I am all about the fast stuff now. The density of Copper coated lead with acceptable patterns at the speed of steel = impact. Wow! Maybe it is over kill a lot of the time, but I love the stuff. I think over the course of the season It has reduced cripples for me. I think it is because when they get hit that hard even if they have legs under them it takes them longer to get themselves together and the dog is able to get on them before they can run away in the grass.
I am not a rich guy, but pheasant hunting I shoot three maybe four rounds a day the price isn't going to break me. I think I bought four boxes and still have a box left I paid $18.99 a box. That is $2.75-$3.00 a day.The price of gas might break me but shells probably wont.
If I had to pay that for the duck blind or a dove shoot that would suck.

If you don't want to spend the money don't ever buy a box. You might get hooked on it like me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.