Quail Call?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Quail Call?

Postby b-144 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:54 am

Has anyone every used a quail call i have a 8 in 1 duck call and it says it will call quail. Will it work?
Gun Control- Using both hands.
b-144
hunter

Re: Quail Call?

Postby apexhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:38 pm

After flushing a covey of wild birds It is possible to use a quail call to gather them back up but it does take some time as the birds are skiddish for a while. As far as using one to locate birds, you can have some success as birds can be fairly vocal while they are scattered as they feed.

I would say a call has probably 10% chance of assisting you when hunting, but to some that's 10% more success than they started with. I much prefer a good dog, some comfortable boots, a trusty SxS and a good day's walking to have good success.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:30 pm

apexhunter wrote:I much prefer a good dog, some comfortable boots, a trusty SxS and a good day's walking to have good success.

times 2; i've heard of guys using them as more of a locator call, but not walking and calling. but a dog is definately a better road to travel. sometimes if they want to run on you, you can use a hawk call to make them hold tight.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby b-144 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for the help i would like to look into the hawk call, but we don't push fields as much as we jump shoot them. i know it sounds crazy but it works.(sometimes)
b-144
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:08 pm

In my experience, they are useful in locating singles after a covey rise, especially late in the day. We used to do it all the time back when we had a huntable population of bobwhite here on Long Island. We didn't really use a proper call, but we were able to wistle like the covey call and locate them pretty good. One thing you'll want to be careful about is shooting a covey too low. Keep in mind that depending on your location, a wild covey will need between six and ten birds to be able to survive the winter.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby b-144 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:31 pm

that shouldn't be a problem shooting to low, cause when we get into them they range from 20 to 100 birds. But once me and some buddys flushed 200+ all at once. Quite amazing.
b-144
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 am

b-144 wrote:that shouldn't be a problem shooting to low, cause when we get into them they range from 20 to 100 birds. But once me and some buddys flushed 200+ all at once. Quite amazing.

Holy Crap! I've seen coveys of 50-60 birds while hunting back home in SW GA but nothing that even approached 100, much less 200...I'd give almost anything to see that. Unfortunately with the modern farming practices in the deep south we may never again see the multiple and large coveys like we used to hunt 25-30 years ago. But QU and other organizations are working with farmers and landowners to reestablish edges and cover for the birds to come back. The battle here is similar to that of waterfowl where breeding grounds are continuing to disappear under the plow.

Frank is correct that one should not shoot a covey almost totally out as to leave some "seed" birds to assure their survival through the winter...but the magical number definitely does vary depending upon the location. Up north winter kill is a constant factor so more seed birds are necesary to assure survival. In the south where winter kill isn't as prevalent, the covey can survive with fewer numbers and studies have actually determined that leftover pairs will actually join pairs or singles of other coveys and form new "parent" groups for breeding a new covey.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby b-144 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Ya it was quite something, but a once in a live time chance i think, got a hundred year flood that washed all the salt ceders away made it perfect for hunting.
b-144
hunter

Return to Upland Game