Over/Under for Quail

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Over/Under for Quail

Postby lumpy2181 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Hey everyone, I am in the market for a 20ga O/U for some quail hunting and just curious of what everyone uses/suggests. I am looking to spend less than $500 since it will probably only get used 2-3 days a season. Any advice is welcome.

Will
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Re: Over/Under for Quail

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 pm

In that price range i would probally look at the Stoeger condor series, possibly the tristar hunter series also.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:18 am

For that little shooting, are you open to the idea of a used gun? I saw a used 20 gauge Ruger Red Label in a gun shop once for 600 dollars that I snapped up even though I wasn't looking for another gun. I'm mainly a waterfowler and only hunt upland a few days a year but I now have a classic double at a reasonable price.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:37 am

I have nothing against used guns. I am a little unsure of what is a good deal or not when it comes to O/Us. If the original owner took care of it they should last a long time but who knows what a gun has been through besides the original owner.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 am

What you will find is a large discrepancy in the quality and value of a good used piece versus a new one within the price range you are looking. Granted, your intended use probably won't result in hundreds or thousands of rounds through the gun in any given year, but the higher quality guns will provide many, many years of troublefree service with better fit, finish, balance and ease of operating. The lower end guns (Tristar, Baikal/Spartan, etc) are solidly built pieces and are capable of lasting for many years, but simply are not made to the quality of something like a Browning, Beretta, Ruger, etc.

To check the "basic" condition of an O/U simple remove the barrels and inspect the bores for pitting or scratching, inspect the chambers for rust or rough places, hold them vertically from the chamber end and tap or thump the barrels- you want them to "ring" like a tuning fork then look for dings or dents along with the general condition of the finish. Then inspect the general condition of the receiver looking for rust or damage to the water table, hinge pin and trigger. A reputable gun shop should be able to verify the actual condition and servicibility of a used piece and provide you with honest advice concerning the purchase.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby meathead » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 pm

I second Apex's vote for a used piece. Just go handle a few used guns - the ones that have been taken care of will quickly stand out from those that have seen misuse and abuse. It is not uncommon to find a nice little "used" upland gun that seems as if the only time it left the safe was to be traded into the gun shop. Good luck man!
meathead
hunter

Return to Upland Game