Pointing Labs

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Pointing Labs

Postby lumpy2181 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey everyone, I was curious to see how many upland hunters use pointing labs? I was looking in to getting a new hunting partner and ran across a breeder that has some APLA titled Labs in his bloodlines. Anyone hunt with them?

Will
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Re: Pointing Labs

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:52 am

I have friends that have pointing Labs and they seem to like them. If you can have two dogs try a traditional flushing Lab, and a pointer of some type. We use that combination in hunting large CRP fields with great success.
A Lab because of their size just doesn't have the speed and stamina to hunt 600 acre fields as efficiently as a setter or GWP, but working in conjunction they make a efficient bird finding machine.
I am not Lab bashing, I have hunted,trialed,tested and loved them for 40 years,I just know their limitations in western hunting conditions.
Whatever dog you get train it.
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby berettaboy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:05 pm

I happen to be partners with a pointing Lab. She is a 3 year old choc. lab. I started training her at 6 mo. She lives for the hunt. She slows down a little after 4 hours of hunting. I think I slow down more. Upland Field Labs are the total package. She is a joy to hunt with because she is always at gun range. You do not have to hike 75 yrds. to get to the point.
Bob
berettaboy
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks for the info fellas.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:16 am

I like them, and I might get a pointing lab when we get another if I can find one in Chocolate. I love running my lab in conjunction with my GSP though. Great combo.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Ill throw in my two Cents, but I'm no expert.
Lumpy... I think it depends on the TYPE of hunting you do, WHERE you live, and what you WANT from a dog.
Im from Nevada, Chukar capital of the US. It is hot early season here. Labs were originally bred for cold weather, so they have thick coats and get hot easily. Not many people use labs for upland hunting here unless they are kept at heal and used for retrieving downed birds because they get too hot here. I have trouble keeping my setter cool, and my friends GSPs too.
Chukar hunting is intense up steep hills and in the desert, would not recommended a lab. but grouse, quail, pheasant all would be good for labs. Cooler places would be better for a labs.
There are other all around dogs that do everything point, and waterfowl: wirehairs, Brittanys, springs etc.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Return to Upland Game