First turkey hunt. What Type of call shoud I get?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

First turkey hunt. What Type of call shoud I get?

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:33 pm

I've hunted deer, and I've hunted ducks, but never a turkey. I applied for my first permit today.
My question is; as a beginner, what type of call would you recommend? Box, slate, or diaphriagm. What is a lil' easier to pick up. I don't know how it is where the rest of you hunt turkey, but I can harvest either sex. I plan to do just that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:27 am

I like the slate over the box call, but I have to admit, I have a few turkey calls. I have a slate, box, wing thing, cut and drum, gobbler, crow call, owl hoot and several diaphram calls. They make a box call that attaches to the gun. Thats a decent call. Easy to use and keeps you from moving too much. Try a few out and see what works best for you.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby big_countryks » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:58 am

Push button calls are the easiest to learn, I like a diaphragm call because it keeps your hands free so less movement and you can give them that last yelp when they are in your face to make them put their head up. I would suggest one of each and really try and learn the diaphragm call if you can. I just buy the cheapest one they have every year and I still get my turkey so don't get caught up in which brand or type is best.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:48 am

Box call or push button calls are the easiest to operate. The push button calls can be used to make a lot of different sounds depending on the spead you push the button. Box calls are good to start with as well, but require a bit more movement, which can be difficult when that big tom is moving in at full strut.
Go to your local store and try a couple different ones out.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby mfetter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:59 am

You have plenty of time to learn them all!!! All calls are used in dofferent situations. I prefer the slate, then the diagraphm(sp?) then the box. The mouth calls are about 3.00 ea. Get four different ones and start to practice on the way to work every morning--In about a month you will have it down. The reason I say the car is because I am not allowed to have any kind of call anywhere on me past my front door :yes:
mfetter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:57 am

I have the hardest time with the slate....never have been able to make a turke-like sound out of 'em. :thumbsdown:
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:56 pm

if you can try any of them out, i would see which you feel is easiest to operate. the push button ones are just plain simple, and the box calls arent to hard either... id say those would be your best bets (easiest). i use either a slate or box call, or both. Good Luck! :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:53 pm

Trois_beaux_canards wrote:I have the hardest time with the slate....never have been able to make a turke-like sound out of 'em. :thumbsdown:

Get some sand paper and rough the surface of the striker and the slate. try making little round circles on the slate for a feeding call. Strait lines for a hail call. use the side end of the striker. hold it at an angle and try and make sone noise. This is hard to explain.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:58 pm

I picked up a set of the mouth calls, got 4 in one package for about 10 bucks. Primos I believe. One single reed, one triple with a cut, and two doubles, also one with a cut. After getting them home, I realized they said "Youth" on the package. Maybe so, but I have been able to do an occasional convincing sound so far. I like the lil' boxes you can put on your gun. The "egg" or something? I may have to pic one of those up soon. I have a few months to practice, and probably another month before I even know if I am drawn for the hunt.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:36 pm

GO TO mountainhollowgamecalls.com
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:54 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I have figured out how to work a slate call, though I still can't coax terriffic sounds out of them.

Lastly, I didn't get drawn for the permit this year, but can still try to get one of the extra's for the last two weeks of the season. If not, I've got over a year to practice!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:33 pm

i have a MT hollow sasafrass box call, a Push button, 2 mouth calls (orange is the best) a slate call and a glass call.

im not trying to spam it up but i work for the guy anything you need to know just ask
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:11 pm

go with the primos diaphram kit with the tape, most people if they start off with the right type of diaphram they wont have any trouble with it. They also have a flap on some of theyre calls that prevent the gagging some people have.
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:03 am

I've said this before but if you go to ESPN, they have a tukey audio section that you can listen too and that will help. I like slate cus i can hear it better than a diaphram but i use both. To master the slate you need to get a stick that fits right in you hands, get different kinds, wood, graphite and what not, but get some fine grain paper and score it up pretty good. The trick is to never take the stricker off the slate, make small circles and your angle should be about 45 to 50*, As far as glass slate and alluminium well get them all and find out what the turkeys will respond too. I glass and alu are louder so you will have the master the art of loud and soft callin or you will scare'm off when there in close. For diaphram get a double reed and master that one before you worry about cut v's and splits. Box's are easy for a beginner just make sure you keep chalk on it and don't get it wet.

Do you plan to get decoys?

Practice make perfect. :thumbsup:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Upland Game