Turkey Problems!!!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey Problems!!!

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:26 pm

I REALLY want to understand this. I have watched turkey hunting videos of guys taking shots out to 60 or 70 yards with a shotgun and downing turkeys. My dad and I have Benelli Nova Pumps 28" barrels and we shoot these 3 1/2 inch Winchester Turkey Load #6's. BOTH of us have taken shots at about 40 yards at turkeys more than once and NOTHIN. I just dont understand, we both had full chokes in our guns. And we are great shots at Doves, Ducks.... anything with a Shotgun so Im SURE we can hit a turkey. Am I missing something?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:18 pm

What size shot and have you patterned those shells yet? I patterned my gun with some Winchester 3.5" #4 and #6 and I have patterned Federal 3.5" #4 and #6 with my gun at 30 yrds. I shot at a paper target of a turkey that was on a huge piece of cardboard so I sould see how the entire shot grouped.

With the Federal #4 I had 6 pellets in the head and neck, and a even spread of shot around where I aimed. The Federal #6 had 11 pellets in the head and neck and the same even spread.

The Winchester #4 only managed 2 in the neck and the #6 only got 5 in the head and neck. Now the spread for both were horrible. It was nowhere close to being even, it had several tight groups that were nowhere close to each other. So if I had been off just a little I could have easily not hit the bird at all.

So I would say from my personal expierence that it was your shells.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Snaph » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:46 pm

I hate to ask this question. Please don't take this wrong. Are you shooting at the head and neck? A body shot (while it can kill one) just will not do it all the time. That is a lot of feathers to bust thru.
Snaph
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:38 am

HAHA hey it's ok. If I was a moron I would deserve it. But Im not. Yes I do aim at the head and neck. Lol.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby K&Q waterfowler » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:22 am

Here are a few things to look at.

1. Full choke generally isn't the best turkey choke. Most "pros" you see on the videos are shooting a minimum of extra full. You might want to get a couple of different turkey choke tubes and pattern them to see which is the best. I have a Browning BPS with the standard invector choke tubes. I shoot a .660 Rhino choke tube, which is a lot tighter than full.

2. I shoot at a Quaker Boy turkey target. This has a 10 inch circle around it. My minimum acceptable shell/choke combo will put 100 pellets in that circle with 5 pellets in the brain/spine at 40 yards. I like 40 yards because if it'll whack him at that distance, it'll get him if he's closer. This will give me some extra in case the bird moves when I pull the trigger. You may want to start with this and modify the distance to fit your needs. The gun I use now puts 212 in that circle with 9 in the brain/spine. You should also shoot a minimum of 3 targets and compare the pellet counts, because they will vary. Nothing hurts any worse than having that gobbler at 30 yards and the worse pattern that the shells will give you being the one you send downrange and cripple that bird.

3. I have found that the hi-velocity shells seem to pattern better than the standard 3", 2 oz. loads, or the 3-1/2" 2-1/4 oz. loads. It probably has a lot to do with fewer pellets fighting for the same space. The Winchester HV loads have done fairly well in every gun I've tried them in (4) and with all the different turkey tubes (too many to even guess). That is a good starting point.

4. The #6 gives a good pattern, but remember that the pellets tend to lose energy quicker than the larger #4 and #5. This can lead to crippling the birds at 40 yards instead of a clean kill. One way to get around this is to use hevi-shot or some other non-toxic load. This will give you the energy of the larger pellets with the pattern of the smaller ones. The downside to these shells is cost, but only you can determine if they are worth it.

Finally, don't believe everything that the "pros" are telling you. The camera can make a 20 yards shot look like it's 60 and there is always the "golden BB" rule where one pellet is what kills the bird at 55-60 yards.

Hope this helps you get started and gets you killing some birds. :thumbsup:
K&Q waterfowler
Newb

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:52 pm

We were using the HV Winchester Turkey load. I can understand the choke problem. That would probably definatly help to put more BBs in in the head and neck. Ill have to look into getting a superextra mega full choke. lol. thankx
CrackerJackShot
hunter

TURKEY

Postby BHUNTER » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:54 pm

I SHOT A HEN THIS YEAR AT 75 YARDS WITH A MODIFIED CHOKE AND #7 1/2 SHOT IN THE HEAD, MINED YOU I HAD TO BREAK ITS NECK WHEN I GOT TO IT, BUT DEAD IS DEAD. I DIDNT SEE ANY PELLETS IN THE BREAST WHEN I WAS CLEANING AND I HAVENT EATEN IT YET, WHO KNOWS MAYBE ITS FULL OF LEAD. :getdown:

I HAVE PATTERNED MY GUN WITH A FULL CHOKE AND 3MAG TURKEY SHOT, AND AT 50 YARDS IT WILL KILL A TURKEY EVERYTIME. :thumbsup:
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:03 pm

I have a benelli nova and I use a primos jellyhead with #4 hevi-shot.I patterned at 70 yards because they claim it can do it,It ha 5 pellets in the kill zone(head and neck).That spring I filled 3 tags first was at 65 yards,2nd was at 55 yards and the 3rd was at 12 yards,all 3 dropped like rag dolls,well the 3rd had no head left,but that combo works and I would never change.Good luck
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Return to Upland Game