Quail Hunting Tips, Tactics, and/ or Advice

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Quail Hunting Tips, Tactics, and/ or Advice

Postby younggun1100 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Late last season I was walking down a gravel road between a stand of old pines and a large, overgrown field with some young 5 to 6 year old pines and i ended up flushing a large convey of bobwhites. I love quail hunting (not as much as waterfowl hunting though), but I dont have a dog. Anyone got any tips, tactics, or advice on how I can hunt these quail?
"For me its not about shooting birds. Its about everything leading up to that moment: finding places to hunt, building/brushing blinds, rigging decoys, practicing, scouting, waking up early, working hard, and hopefully seeing some waterfowl."
younggun1100
hunter

Re: Quail Hunting Tips, Tactics, and/ or Advice

Postby chinogoose » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:58 am

:lol: Yeah what he said. Good luck :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Re: Quail Hunting Tips, Tactics, and/ or Advice

Postby brad0861 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:43 pm

The first season I hunted quail I went only with myself and a friend. We found the quail to be the most abundant around water sources, so if you have no water in the area then move on. We hunted california quail, so I am not sure how bobwhite would be different. But, we learned to locate them by walking through the brush and then every so often you have to stop and listen. When you get close enough you can hear the flutter of wings or the rustling in the brush. We would just listen for faint noise and walk towards it, when we got closer you could hear a whistle, soon after the covey would usually flush. If you can locate a good sized covey make sure to keep an eye out as to where the birds fly, they usually don't go to far. Once you bust em up just walk up to where they flew. We would often limit out whithin a few hours of bustin a large covey, no dogs. I now use dogs, much easier to rely on their sense of smell but still be aware of the whistle, you hear that you better get ready to shoot. Good luck.
brad0861
hunter

Return to Upland Game