Dove Decoys ...

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove Decoys ...

Postby Mossbergkid » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Ok so I was wondering if any of you guys use decoys when it comes to dove hunting ... I know you can have a successful hunt WITHOUT decoys ... I was just wondering if any of you have noticed a difference when using them
Mossbergkid
hunter

Re: Dove Decoys ...

Postby DanJeffandJack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Eh, I am not convinced the clip on decoys make a lick of difference.

I do think the mojo doves work pretty well, but unfortunately when every single person in your 20+ person dove hunting party has one they just look comical and cancel each other out. If you have a field all to yourself then they can be killer, but I have personally never gone on a solo dove hunt. :huh:

Just my .02 cents though.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:55 am

For the start of dove season, we usually 2 dove mojo's and about 3 dove decoys around each mojo...seems to pull them in pretty good.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Mossbergkid » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Yea i have me a mojo and one of them easy trees, for the clip ons ... the field never has more than 3 people in it ... me being the only one who has any decoys .... we did good last year and i cant help but to think the decoys played a roll.
Mossbergkid
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 pm

A few guys around here have those decoys tied up to a fishing pole and they throw them over a power line and reel up so they hang right below the line.
Doves just go straight to them then they get them to jump off and shoot not my type of hunting but if i am having a bad day any bird that is stupid enough to land near me is going to get shot at anyways to get my confidence up.

Mojos work used one and i had birds landing in between me and it and i was sitting out in the open it it was less than 5 ft away lol
klee7013
hunter

Postby KandFishChicken » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:38 pm

klee7013 wrote:A few guys around here have those decoys tied up to a fishing pole and they throw them over a power line and reel up so they hang right below the line.
Doves just go straight to them then they get them to jump off and shoot not my type of hunting but if i am having a bad day any bird that is stupid enough to land near me is going to get shot at anyways to get my confidence.

That is about the most idiotic post that I have read on this forum.....stupid idea....stupid. :fingerhead:
KiloFoxtrotCharlie
KandFishChicken
hunter

Postby Mossbergkid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:57 pm

The guy that owns the field has a fake power line like 15 feet off the ground just behind the fence ... we use that when we hunt that side of the field .. But i think i have made up my mind... we will be taking them with us!
Mossbergkid
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:48 pm

we use decoys when we hunt doves but I too dont know if they do any good. The MOJO dove however does work wonders, have also had doves try to land on the damn thing. It must look real too cause we had a small hawk try to take off with one a few years ago. It was pretty funny, lucky no one shot at it.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby richard rouleau » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am

i use dove decoys all the time i got some made by cherokee sports them dove deoys work and i put out about 3 mojo inthe dove field
southern utah waterfowler
richard rouleau
hunter

Postby c14smalls » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:15 am

I used dove decoys last year and didn't do any better than years past. Saw a bunch of guys using the Mojo dove and there was a lot of birds going to them, but there were a lot of bird turning from them. I think its like ducks, some like'm some don't. I am not wasting my time with them this year.
c14smalls
hunter

Postby tstroud05 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:02 pm

IMO, dove hunting is more about knowing where they are gonna be than any decoy use... I am more likely to limit out hunting the RIGHT field edge, than sticking a hundred mojo's in the ground in the middle of that same field... I do use a mojo to bring in the birds from a distance, but for the most part it's about hunting location... Believe me, if you know there are plenty of birds there, then just take some deeks along to put that icing on the cake, may be the difference between a limit and a couple shy of a limit... That's about it...
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Return to Upland Game