crow

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

crow

Postby ducksbuck » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:57 pm

Any one else hunt crow? I went out today in Wisconsin and set up next to a field with 300-400 in it. After 5 seconds of calling, the whole flock swarmed over me. I thought it was pretty dang cool, even if they were just crows.

Ended up only getting one. One crack at them is all I got. I am trying again in the morning.
Buck

Our passions will take us much farther than our occupations.
ducksbuck
hunter

Postby waterfowl » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:05 pm

everytime i have ever gone crow huntin it has been that way. i have heard that if you do call and only a couple come, you should wait and let em go. supposedly they will go and get more. i don't know if this is true or not b/c they all have come right off the bat. shootin crows helps with the 'ol accuracy!

good luck in the morning! :thumbsup:
waterfowl
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:30 am

We have a ton of crows on our place and I decided I wanted to give it a try just cause I want something to shoot at for a while. What do yall do with the dead birds?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:12 am

I had the same question. I have been wanting to crow hunt for quite some time, but I can't bring myself to eat the damn things...so what DO you do with them?
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby ducksbuck » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:54 am

I was out this morning. I got 5. I missed quite a few in the wind. They don't come right in like ducks. They kept circling overhead.

I realy don't know the proper thing to do with crows. I know a few guys that leave them lay. I refuse to do that, for I don't want to be the one to give someone a bad image of hunters. I do it mainly for my dog. In the past I have taken the birds home and threw them in my dumpster.(don't feel totaly right for that) These I will take to my folks to see if I can bury them come spring in their garden.

There are many ways we can justify shooting them. But what to do with them after is a question. I will call a friend of mine who is a game warden and see what he suggests.

I had a lot of fun this morning, and my dog was great. I want to keep hunting, but want to feel right about it.
Buck

ducksbuck
hunter

Postby waterfowl » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:10 pm

The few times I have gone have been for similar reasons, shooting and working the dog. I really never have killed a huge number of them, probably 5-10 on a single hunt. I never eat them, but I use the dead bird as bait for traps to catch bobcats, coyotes, and racoons.
waterfowl
hunter

Postby duckweed » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:51 pm

i usually shoot one or two when i am out coyote hunting. let flop in the field, get the yote's attentiona, and bring him in to be shot. soi it is a win win situation. or i bait my traps with 'em. won't eat cause you don't know which ones have WEST NILE. that is the biggest factor.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:19 am

I actually seen some recipes for crow on an other site. But there is no way I will eat one. I will see if I can find it, and post it up.

All I do with the one's I shoot is throw them off to the fenceline. Right or not, I don't know. That is what everybody doe's with them around here, including the law enforcement that have crow shoots in town to keep the numbers down.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:39 pm

Why is everyone so set on not eating crow.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ducksbuck » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Hey Smackaduck,

have you eaten crow?(the actual bird) I just don't know if I can do it.
Buck

ducksbuck
hunter

Postby ducksbuck » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:09 pm

My dad and I went crow hunting today and set up on a travel way. Toward dark they responded well to the call. We got five. Some of the crows seemed smart and made us right away. A couple of them would go up high and seemed like they were alerting the others.

Crazy how smart they are.

Great work for the dog. That is my main justification right now. Who knows, one day I may eat one. If someone has a recipe, post it.
Buck

ducksbuck
hunter

Postby Young Canadian Gun » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:17 pm

www.crowbusters.com
Great website has everything you'd ever have to know.
Young Canadian Gun
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:17 pm

Yes I have eaten crow. Its just like anything else it must be prepared correctly. Crow busters has quite a few different recipes.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Upland Game