Turkey with a bow

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey with a bow

Postby choclab » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:37 am

How many of you guys hunt turkey with a bow?
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:15 pm

I am going to give it a shot this year. A friend of mine has a double bull blind that he is going to let me borrow. So I will see how it goes. I know it is going to be tough, but rewarding if I can put an arrow through one.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:03 pm

Been awhile since have been able to get on here so I have not seen this post until now.
I LOVE hunting with my bow.
Nothing like seeing that arrow busting that longbeard in the wing.

I have gotten 7 longbeards with mine in the spring.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 am

I go for them with my bow every other year or so. I have shot 4 with my bow so far (43 with my shotgun). Its a whole different ball game. I am off to try and fill my 2nd turk tag today with the bow. The secret is to use a blind or if your like me and dont have one, wait until they get really close and step behind something and the draw on them. I figure I call in 5 for everyone I get with a bow.
phutch30
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:39 pm

I saw a commercial on tv the other day, where this guy used an arrow tip that had like 4 two inch long blades sticking out the sides. It was crazy, it pretty much decapatated the bird. Have any of you ever used that?
BurnZ
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:40 pm

You must be talking about the Gullitine s/p? That thing is awesome!!!

I watched the video & talked to the guys that make that while at the NWTF conv. this year.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:56 am

I too saw the video on it, talk about 'bad to de bone" :hammering: :hammering:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:08 pm

The way we do it is walk along a fence line at night, the turkeys sleep on the posts. Then we grab our hockey stick and swing it hard into its head. No pellets, no large holes, no woundeds, just plain tasty turkey! :tounge:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:42 pm

kiwismakebetterhunters wrote:The way we do it is walk along a fence line at night, the turkeys sleep on the posts. Then we grab our hockey stick and swing it hard into its head. No pellets, no large holes, no woundeds, just plain tasty turkey! :tounge:

I dont doubt that for one minute. :laughing:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:23 pm

Yea and the duck fly low enough that you can catch them with nets so you don't have to worry about eatin shot :cool: :laughing:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:32 pm

i wouldnt hunt turkey w/ a shotgun at all. we only bowhunt them here in maine
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:35 pm

I've seen posts on here about shooting geese or ducks with bows and people are really against it, saying it's an unethical kill, if it's even killed at all. So why is it any different for turkeys? I'm not against it but I know that a turkey round to the head will kill alot faster than an arrow. I'm not trying to start an argument, just want to see everyone's take on it.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:40 pm

when shot w/ a bow they flop less usually then w/ a shotgun. ive shot 7 w/ my bow and have never ever had one go more then just a few feet like 5 feet from where i quilled him. i have how ever on tv no less seen turkeys run off after being shot w/ a shotgun. its all about shot placement w/ both. you probably should say "i know a turkey round to the head will kill alot faster" cuz thats a VERY VERY false statement.
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:07 pm

how's that a false statement? So you're saying, if I shot a turkey in it's head(brain) with a shotgun, it will live longer than if I shot it in the body with an arrow? Makes sense to me..... :thumbsdown:
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:58 pm

i guess you would ahve to expeiance it yourself my friend. shotguns are the #1 weapon of choice for turkeys BUT it is very ethical and very potent w/ a bow. ive killed deer w/ my bow that only went 10 yds and folded and you see on tv all the time deer run a hunderd sometimes 200 yds before expiring.....same thing. plus!, w/ a shotgun penetration is always a factor along w/ distance when w/ a bow it is not. [/url]
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:04 pm

Like I said in my first post, I didn't want this to be an argument, It's supposed to be why is it ethical to kill a turkey with a bow and not a goose. I'm not going to get into the deer thing because you're right, I don't have a bow but it goes both ways, deer and elk can drop without taking a step from a rifle or they can run a bit, the same thing with a bow. BUT THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlab » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:07 pm

MossyGO! wrote:how's that a false statement? So you're saying, if I shot a turkey in it's head(brain) with a shotgun, it will live longer than if I shot it in the body with an arrow? Makes sense to me..... :thumbsdown:

you would have been fine tell you said (brain)
you can cut the brain all over and all that will happen is loss of funtion it is the blood loss and head bleeding that taht kills a turkey with a head shot not pellets to the brain... think about it you can cut a chickens head off and it will run around for several mins but how is that mean. i mean the thing doesn't have a head...

the deal is at the range most tukeys are killed both are equal deadly and if you miss with a bow you miss no harm done .... you miss with a shotgun he gets a few lead pellets in his but and runs 2 miles and dies...

it is all in how one want to hunt neither is a more ethical way for killing...
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby skybuster20ga » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:12 pm

very well put, sometimes its eaier to argue a point when someone else see it in the same light
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby marshmanjr » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:10 pm

My first turkey was with a shotgun but since then all I use for them is a bow, I think it's more fun that way! :thumbsup:
if at first you dont suceed ..... RELOAD!!!!!
marshmanjr
hunter

Return to Upland Game