Crows

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Crows

Postby tealslayerblw » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:26 pm

how do you guys go about youre crow hunting i really want to try it, but im not sure of the basics
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:10 pm

The easiest and cheapest way to start. Would be to buy a cassette of crows gathering or fighting. Get a couple crow decoys and set them up. Cover yourself well and turn on the tape. They will come.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby tealslayerblw » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:12 pm

how many dekes do you mainly hunt over?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:17 pm

I have killed a bag of crows over one dead crow that I used for a decoy. You could use one. One of the places we duck hunt has a field right behind us and I will set out about six on a duck hunt. For confidence as well as for the crows. Most of the time if they see them they will fly by to see whats up. However more crow decoys is more effective especially if your doing an aggressive gathering sequence.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:06 am

what do you do with the crows after you shoot 'em up here In AK you have to use them for something.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:51 am

Use the crows for cat food, but the best bet is to get an owl decoy crows hate owls and vice a versa....a simple crow call and a load of #6's.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Young Canadian Gun » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:32 pm

I find that the crow distress call is the best.
Young Canadian Gun
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Things may be a little different up here, but we don't fool with decoys or owls. We have lots of both but we found it too time consuming to set up, and besides crows are too dam smart and once thier on to you , you have to move. Because of that we use the " run and gun" meathod. We use an electronic call and tapes with lots of owl and hawk fights. We set up in heavy cover so the crows can't see where the rukus is coming from but when they hear it they can't resist the low swoop for a look, and that's when we blast them. Pick a spot where the tree tops are no more than 30 yards high with some decent shooting holes. The crows will head directly to the speaker so set up accordingly. We don't shoot a spot for more than 10 to 15 minutes because once there onto you the game is over. It's also important to kill the first crow in range because if you miss he'll sit in a tree and tell every crow in the area. If there is the slightess brease , before you leave the spot rotate the speaker 360 deg. just hold it above you head and slowly point it in all directions. Its surprising how many crows don't hear it the first time if thier up wind. Take lots of shells and a full choke and we can use lead on crows. They are actually pretty feeble birds and one pellot will bring them down so nothing heavier than #6 shot will do. It's a blast and I can't wait for spring for the action to start, especially since I just learned how devistating they are on breeding ducks.
And remember " If men were birds there would be few wise enough to be crows". Full camo is a must. Give it a try , you will be helping the ducks and sharpening the shooting skills while your at it. :thumbsup:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:16 pm

Wow! I learned something here! And Jim is every bit correct when he is saying crows are smart wary birds cause they are. I got into some during a goose hunt years ago..Because we actually have a seaon on the beasts we cannot shoot them at will. We had crows working a corn field and after the geese quit flying I had at the crows with my 10ga. What a great target they were. I tried to see how far I could get a pattern of #1's on a crow. But after I killed about 6 of them they skedattled quick!
The newspaper ran a article about a Wyoming town that is unidated with crows right now..so much so the local sheriffs are shooting them out of thier patrol car at night.
Citori12

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Jim, you're right about crows being smart. They seem to have a way to sense danger.
Also, they're the only native North American bird that can be taught to talk.
They're a lot of fun to hunt though, we shoot em' up around here at times :hammering:
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby flockrockr72 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:26 pm

I've had my best luck hunting out of my finisher blind for crow out in the open. Crows become wary of cover, they don't expect you out in the open field.
.....another hen, ah hell, TAKE ER!!
flockrockr72
hunter

Crow Hunting

Postby WI_Trapper » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Try www.crowbusters.com Great site :salude:
WI_Trapper
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:55 am

I went out last weekend after learning how destructive they can be to ducks. What a blast! I took 2 decoys and my Power Hunter out to a field. I hit the crow call and they were on me immediately. I bagged one and set it up as a decoy with the other 2. After that the birds were definately more warry so I had to keep moving to convince them to come in. It was great fun and I felt like I was doing some conservation work at the same time!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:39 am

Keep bustin them crows guys!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Citori12

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:19 pm

Sorry boy's I forgot a very important piece of advice, probably the most important that I could give and for that my appologies. DONT EVER TAKE YOUR RETRIEVER ON A CROW HUNT. A WOUNDED CROW WILL PECK THE EYES OUT OF YOUR DOG IN A HEART BEAT. THEY ARE NOT LIKE DUCKS.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Upland Game