pointers for pheasant?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

pointers for pheasant?

Postby ksfowler166 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:35 pm

I hunt both quail and pheasant with my pointer.We hunt with a group using drivers and blockers to hunt both quail and pheasant. She does good on quail when not around other dogs, but she has pointed maybe four pheasant three being hens in two seasons.I think that she is not as effective because we hunt in a group and the cover we hunt, milo/corn fields, field edges mostly.Sometimes CRP, cattails, and plum thickets.Any advise I don't want to ruin her. :help:
DSCN1272.JPG
DSCN1274.JPG
DSCN1273.JPG
Pointing preserve quail.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Re: pointers for pheasant?

Postby muratcan2011 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:20 am

Some pointers have a lazy behavior. When a group of dogs on the field, those lazy behavior dogs only do honoring position. One solution is she must be the only dog on the field.
Having another dog is optional solution of course.
Have a safe and fun hunting days.
Armsan Firearms Armtac Tactical Defense Hunting Shooting Shotguns
www.youtube.com/armsanarmtac
muratcan2011
hunter

Postby kb9zgb » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:33 pm

any chance you can trade dogs with a buddy for a couple hunts. that way you can compare notes.
kb9zgb
hunter

Postby MTJoe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:22 pm

My weimar's do fine alone, But if I more than one, they are in competition and hunt harder it seems. I am from KS and hunted quail and pheasant there, now we are in MT going after grouse and of course pheasants!
MTJoe
hunter

Postby uplandhunter1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:40 am

Its hard to say for sure without seeing your dog hunt. Having said that if the dog is new to the field it would be a good idea to hunt the dog without others for awhile to build confidence and independence. Hunting newer dog with others they figure out to let the faster more experienced dogs do the work and they just lay back. Also it could be the pace of your hunt. Not all noses are created equal. Your dog may need a slower pace and time to work to learn what its looking for or it may just not be as sharp of a nose as the other dogs. I really recomend getting the dog alot of birds solo for awhile.
Thanks Jay
uplandhunter1
Newb

Postby HereDuckyDuckyDucky » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:40 am

I take my dog before season with my bird launcher and buy some pheasant and hunt her. I dont like put-n-takes because the birds hold too tight relative to wild birds. with the launcher I can control their launch if Dixie (my gsp) gets too close. This does a great job right before the season starts to get her ramped up for cockbirds.

Also, if you hunt in a group try hunting out of range with your dog relative to the other dogs. She may be submissive and not want to compete with the others. After she starts getting the idea of hunting near other dogs, gradually work closer to the other dogs. This way she can learn that they are all out there for the same reason.
HereDuckyDuckyDucky
hunter

Postby pheasanthunter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:48 pm

try working less ground by yourself.. it may be worth it to buy a few farm raised birds that you can plant.. This would help build her confidence and also let you know how her nose is..
Every day in the field is a good day..
pheasanthunter
hunter

Postby North » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 pm

How many pheasants has she seen compared to quail? If it's far more quail than pheasants, get her on farm birds and make sure she realizes pheasants are part of the game as well...
North
hunter

Return to Upland Game