turkey guns

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

turkey guns

Postby duckweed » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:54 pm

ok guys i want to know if you guys think a 20 GA. will kill a turkey at 30-40 yards. i just want to know. because if not i have to get a choke for my 12 GA. i bought the turkey choike because i could shoot hevi thru it and i killed geese with my 20. so will it kill a turkey at that range. i mean it paterns good and all but will it have the velocity.

Thanks

William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:23 pm

Your shootin a high powered shotgun not a BB gun you don't need that much velocity as long as you can shot a good pattern but with that bein said i wouldn't push it over 40 yards, its just like bow huntin, the point of the sport is to bring'm in close so if they don't come in then let'm go there will be a next time and surely you'd be upset if you just wounded him.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:08 am

WITH TODAYS LOADS&CHOKE COMBINATIONS, A 3 " 20 GAUGE IS PLENTY OF FIREPOWER. GO FOR IT :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Right on

Postby TXwaterfowl » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:47 pm

I agree with previous replies. A 20 guage with 3" shells is normally plenty of firepower for a gobbler out to about forty yards.
TXwaterfowl
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:24 pm

I killed 2 gobblers with a 20 last year. 2nd one was on the run at 32 yards. Flattened him with Hevishot 5s out of a primos jellyhead choke tube.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Just pattern your gun and load on some turkey targets and you will have your answer. A good 3" load in a 20 should do it just fine if the choke and load is good in your gun. One thing about smaller ga. guns it that with longer hulls they throw longer narrower strings of shot. That's not the best thing for moving targets but for a turkey its good. A head shot at 40 yards doesn't take a lot of velocity so anything will due. I would go on the faster end of the velocity load range with #6 or a basic heavy pay load with #5. Hevi #6 should be a really good load in a 20. Check out what the turkey competitive shooters are doing with hevi shot and 20's.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Upland Game