Quail hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Re: Quail hunting

Postby quailhunter123 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Baker wrote:A-5 20 gauge, cyl bore and no. 8s for me. But, I've all but given up on bird hunting. Wild birds are scarce for us these days and pen raised, while still fun, just ain't the same. I'd be interested in hearing if you guys in other parts of the country are still finding good numbers of quail. In southeast va and northeast nc where I have hunted all my life, it may soon be a thing of the past.

I use a 20 gauge A-5 too with a skeet choke with either 7.5s or 8s. I know what you say by there are know more wild birds in southeast virginia or northeast nc, my grandfather who lives in suffolk tells me about how all the birds have gone away. Luckily though he got a bird dog and I get to go hunting with him at Cedrics.
"Remember don't tell your mother what went on in the duck blind"
Remington 11-87
Browning Magnum Auto 5 20
Remington Versa Max
Winchester Model 50 20 gauge
quailhunter123
hunter

Postby ACooper » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:58 pm

12 ga with an IC or Skeet choke, I prefer to shoot 9s.
ACooper
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:45 pm

All you guys shooting 12's at these poor little ole quail.

28 gauge benelli legacy with AA #8 and if I'm in pheasant country I'll slip a box of AA #5 in my vest. Only shoot birds over points.

The quail arent any better here in NE Oklahoma, got 1200 acres for those buggers to thrive in courtesy of 12 years of blood, sweat, and lots of deisel. To me a real killer to birds in Kansas are pheasant hunters that decimate a whole covey. They jump em then chase every single they see. :mad:
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Previous

Return to Upland Game