Turkey loads

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

What oz. load do you like best for turkeys?

1 1/2 oz.
9%
1 5/8 oz.
9%
1 3/4 oz.
9%
1 7/8 oz.
36%
2 oz. and up
36%

Total votes : 11

Turkey loads

Postby Remington1187 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:45 pm

I was wonderin what everyone uses for their turkey loads. Ive used Federal grand slam 3" #5's, Remingtonton Nitro Turkey 3.5" 2oz. #4's, and Federal Pheasants Forever 2.75" #6's....and my best results have actually been with the pheasants forever ones because the speed is about 200-300 fps faster....i think so anyways. I havent used heavi shot because im too cheap to buy the special choke tube and I also want to hear if anyone has used the Federal Flitecontrols and how they liked them. One more thing, has anyone had luck/liked the performance of the Remington 4x6's...Ive seen them and wondered if they're any good...they sound kinda cool and might be a good idea for brushier areas if you dont want to mess up the head too much with just all 4's.....I'm just curious...not trying to sell...Im only 16 so you dont have to worry about me workin for these companies. Thanks
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:46 pm

sorry, for the poll, I had 2 oz. and up but it didnt put that in there and I dont know how to fix it.
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:06 pm

I helped ya out a little bit and put up the 2 oz and up option for ya.
The life cycle of a hunter... hunt, eat, sleep if there is time, then go hunt again.

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting, becasue hunting infers the possibility of failure. Rather, Chuck Norris goes killing.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:13 am

Been using Winchester turkey loads for years in #5. "works for me"

I still are my views on all the "super tight chokes" on the market today. I've been hunting the mighty turkey for a long time now and ...in the day. I killed just as many with a full choke and high brass 6s' Oh don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with blowing a turkeys head off at 40 yards, but you had better have it on his head... or you will be waving goodbye as he sets sail. Just my thoughts :eek:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Upland Game