Are you a "high tec" turkey hunter or?????

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Are you a "high tec" turkey hunter or?????

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:18 am

Wondering how much "stuff " you are toting around in the turkey woods?? Vest, decoys, blind,seat, every type of a call made or do you keep it simple?? Just you ,your box call and a gun :umm:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:28 am

I guess I pack around all the goodies.

I have a few diaphragms that I carry, 1 or 2 slates, a box, and a gobbler for birds that get hung up.
I've got one of those seats that velcro on your belt.
Also I carry a decoy.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:13 am

yea, me too. I tried to "down size" a few years back :oops: But when you get down to it, you really never know what it will take to get the bird. Whether it be a different call or the use of the deks. If it's not in you vest, it does you no good! And as you know, sometimes it's as easy as scratchin in the leaves, other time you have to pull out all the stops :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:51 pm

Theres the old sayin better to not need it and have it than need in and NOT have it.

I take one a each, calls that is and turkey vest with ALEAST one dek. Like ya'll said you never now what you are going to encounter, everyday is different if it wasn't then it'd be boring. But i don't get to fancy with it, mostly try to get away with just a mouth call.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby playaxplorer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:32 pm

used to be old school for spring birds. fully camo'd w/ face mask, a box call and one diaphragm and a shotgun covered in camo tape. but i've expanded my "tools" now. have a vest w foam seat, box call, 4 diaphragms, 2 slates, 3-4 strikers, 2 decoys. i can't wait to use it all!!!!
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:04 pm

:thumbsup: yea, and it all works...some of the time :laughing:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby goosedowner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:25 am

I bring everything to the woods except the kitchen sink. just joking 3-4 mouth calls,1 box call,2 slates,2strikers,2decoys,vest,bottled water and everything else you need.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby wood duck » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:53 pm

all i take into the woods with me is a shotgun and my camo and 1 bullet
:thumbsup:
friends dont let friends shoot mossbergs
wood duck
hunter

Postby Old Timer » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:58 pm

I started putting one of them there storage boxs(blue) you get at wal-mart in the back of my pick-up cuz Ive got it full of all the gagets, bells and whistles for turkey hunting, clothing, rain gear, vests(2), boots, soxs(2), facemasks(3), deks(5), everything. When I get to my destination, I can decide what and how Im going to work my hunt.
Old Timer
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:30 pm

i carry 3 slate calls, 4 strikers, 4 diaphram calls, 1 push button call, and 3 different locator calls. a saw, 2 decoys, H.S. STRUT turkey huntin' seat, binoculars, and rain gear. then top it off with my benelli and some 3 1/2" winchester #6's...turkeys be ware. :help: :laughing:

sounds like allot, and it is, but at one time or another, they have all helped me bag a tom...like someone said, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. :hammering: :thumbsup:

MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:07 pm

That was me :yes: and nice bird, was that taken with you new camera?

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:37 pm

LAREDNECK,
thanks. no, that was taken with my old HP M307. it was a 3.2 MP camera. took great pics, but i broke the LCD screen salmon fishing. it wasnt worth it to fix it. more cost effective to get a whole new camera.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:01 pm

I just asked because i'm on the hunt for one and i'm not much of a camera guy as theres so many out there I just can't figure this crap out. :yes:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 pm

dont go under 3 megapixels because if you want to blow a photo up it will look "grainy" the larger you blow it up. so really, the higher the MP's the better...and try to get the most OPTICAL zoom you can for your price range. that way if you go on a hunt somewhere you can take pics of scenery or game that are a little farther off. i just got a Kodak Z710 and i like it so far. check out my late season pheasant post. one pic is great the other is a little blurry. its blurry because i forgot to hold the button down half way to let it focus to where i had the zoom set. as a result its a little blurry. but the other pic came out great.

A little info on my particular camera

the Kodak Z710
is 7.1 mega pixel, has a 10X optical zoom, does video, has a digital view finder as well as an LCD display, audio feed back, image cropping(on camera), focus feature, several photo modes as well as a few other features. sounds complicated, but is really easy to use. my dad can even use it....that means ALLOT!!! this camera retails for $299.99, but staples had it on sale for $249.99 just before christmas. it will take up to a 1 GB SD card. a 1 GB card will hold a ton of pics for ya...even with it being a 7.1 Mega Pixel....ive also used canon, sony, and hp cameras with great results.

heres a couple pics of my mounted canada goose with the kodak Z710
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:41 pm

That camera take nice still pics but i'm also looking for something that will take some moving pics. Been checking out this site call zdnet.com it has reviews on it so everytime some suggest a camera I look it up so far the rebel takeing the cake.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Are you a "high tec" turkey hunter or?????

Postby ClintV » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:19 pm

I used to carry two of everything, and three of the stuff I really liked, but noticed that as the season progressed, my vest got lighter and lighter.

Now I can fit everything in a fanny pack. As far as calls go, I carry my two favorite box calls and my two favorite slates. I pack along several strikers to get multiple sounds out of each of the slates, and a slip case with a couple of diaphrams in it. An owl hooter and crow call, and most times a single deke. Aside from that, my binos and shotgun, and Leafy suit.

Two items that I WON'T leave home without, are a thermacell, and the Cabela's Gobbler lounger. I can set for hours in this chair, and never have a skeeter within arms reach with the Thermacell burning. If I could recommend two items that will absolutely change the way you turkey hunt it would be those two. I don't know how I got by without them, but I don't intend to try to do it anymore. :wink:
ClintV
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:47 pm

I keep it simple, camo on, face mask, gloves, push button box. Sometimes I'll bring a turkey seat. I like to run and gun, quick to set up quick to move.
cjg
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:48 pm

# shells in my gun, 2 diaphragm calls and a can of skoal.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:24 am

I take a turkey vest with 2 box calls , 2 slate style calls , 4 or 5 mouth calls , 3 or so strikers for my slate calls , 2 locater calls 1 owl 1 crow, couple of extra rounds of 3.5 inch #5 shot , water annd my gps unit , and my turkey tags...
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NickK » Sat May 16, 2009 3:57 pm

I've got a pack full of calls. Then, I have a separate turkey lounger that I carry. Then, decoys, and teh gun. Sometimes gets a little heavy, but when you got a bird who really cares.
Here is a pic of our double from last Saturday.
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Return to Upland Game