DAMN THE TURKEY!!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

DAMN THE TURKEY!!

Postby Penguine » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:57 am

Daqy before the opener here in SoDak we make a drive down to Hot Springs. We arrive down there at 1630 and begin our scouting. Lo and Behold we find a bunch of the elusive Merriam Turkey. So we sit, we watch, we Yelp, they gobble, we crow call, they gobble, we smile and head off to the hotel room (6 guys in a small ass hotel room is not cool!).

0345 we awaken. My hunting partner is sick as a dog with what we deemed the shitty-pukies. Anyway, we all call him a puss and he gets dressed and we head out at 0430.

0500 we are where we need to be but there is still an hour before sunrise and only 1 mile to walk. No biggie.

0530, almost to where we need to be and I hear "Stop" *Barf* "Oh damn, there goes the Pepsi!" *barf some more* "Ugh, what the hell was that." *barf* "Dude, I feel like hell." I chuckle and tell him to be a man. He sucks it up and we walk a bit more.

0545 Gobble, gobble... HAHA!! Found you you turkey bastard! My hunting buddy miraculously seems 100% better, the hunt is on. I start to call sinc emy bud things he will puke if he sticks the mouth call in.

0630 We finally get in to position where we can see the gobbler. He is nice, vocal and is answering each yelp with a gobble. He is closing fast, we are ready to smoke him.

0635 WHAT THE HELL!!!! Sitting in the tree to our left was two hens, still in the roost. They fly out of the tree, land right next to the Gobbler, talk dirty to him, and the three of them haul butt back over the hill and out of sight. DAMN!!! Guess the alure of real turkey booty was a better offer then my calling.

Needless to say the rest of the day, all the way up to 7pm, was very uneventful. We walked out after a total of nine miles, with one turkey.

*sighs*
Penguine
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 pm

Isn't that the way it goes... oh well better days are sure to come.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:51 pm

Hey one turk is better than none and you didn't get the green apple splatters :toofunny:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby playaxplorer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:08 am

I hear ya bud! We had a similar weekend (without the crappy pukies) but tough hunting made even tougher by high winds. We managed 1 bird for 8 hunters on 3 days of hunting!
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:42 pm

I feel your pain!!! Been out three times now and , Worked a bird my first time out this year , he won and now two trips later, that's still the highlight of my season . Did not even hear a bird this morning :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Upland Game