DEAD RUNNING TURKEY AT 80 YARDS

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Postby WIgunner30 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:01 pm

That dont seem far fetched to me cause i shot one at 73 yrds running and yes the yardage was ranged with a range finder. Granted i normaly wouldnt take a hail marry shot like that but my 13 yr old brother at the time wounded the gobbler and had a broken wing so it would of died anyway. People shouldnt be so quick to judge ur uncle maybe he was in a simular situation were he had to take a long shot like that. I used a winchester 1300 with a undertaker choke tube and Winchester suprem copper plated number 4s. i put 2 pellets in the head and one in the neck. I have no problem shooting turkeys out to 50 yrds with that gun and load combo.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:07 pm

the people that doubt this topic dont know what heavy lead turkey loads and a tight shooting choke tube can really do.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:33 am

CrackerJackShot wrote: Somebody mentioned something about a .243. I don't like the idea of that.

It was me, and it was said as a joke.

Penguine wrote:I'm so tired of seeing turkey 60+ yards away and not wanting to come in I think I am going out with the .243 this weekend. Lets see that wiley bastard gobble then!
Penguine
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:49 am

ah OK!! lol. WIgunner.... have you ever put what you thought to be the most awsome load, gun, and choke combo on paper? The energy the shot has is completely irrelavent... the pattern disperses more than you might think. I have tried to put the tightest patterns together I can muster and it still feels open to me....
CrackerJackShot
hunter

dead running turkey at 80 yards

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:11 pm

I sure hope that everyone is wearing their chest waders because boots wouldn`t do for this kind of story. It recks a terrible stinch. I don`t care what kind of shot he was using because it`s the chock that makes it work. And if you`ve ever looked at the patteren results that major manufactors put out, 80% of the total pellet count at 40 yards in a 30" circle is considered very good. Even people competing in stillshot comps could not take a bird at 80 yards much less one running. I personaly have had my shotgun totaly reworked by Angleport and had a chock specificaly made by them and couldn`t do this.
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:04 am

Correct, accept for if you get lucky. For the record I dont give a rats *** about percentages in a 30" circle. Im not shooting a 30" circle, Im shooting a turkey, or duck or whatever. The running part wouldnt really impress me that much. Its easier than taking a shot off on a edge of range dove moving full speed, much easier.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:18 pm

So I came across this topic and scrolled down far enough and finally figured out what the heck the ruckus was about 2 months ago.

Thus I deleted a bunch of posts, by at least 5 diferent members.

The next time this happens, someone please PM me with the link once it starts. I do not like being a mushroom being kept on the dark, understand?

And next time it happens to this extent, I will suspend or ban whomever it is, regardless of their title, as we will NOT put up with personal bashing here at DHC. :pissed:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby duckplucker » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:01 am

Sorry A2... I hadn't been on here in awhile and didn't see it. I'll take some blame for it getting out of control.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 am

WIgunner30 wrote:the people that doubt this topic dont know what heavy lead turkey loads and a tight shooting choke tube can really do.

I think people that shoot past 40 yards dont know what the hell they are doing!!!! You shoot turkeys at long range for one reason, your callling and skill is not well enough to bring em close for an ETHICAL shot!! Learn to call and scout the area...you wont have to shoot em at 75/80 yards. Hunting has a sad future!!!! :thumbsdown:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:15 pm

Somebody was saying that there is no way to load a shell like that but you can.

A company by the name of Nitro sells shells loaded with 4x5x7's in them.
They are like $60 for 10 shells.

I would never take a 80 yrd shot either. When i pull the trigger on a turkey I know he is killing range or I will not shoot.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:38 pm

WIDGEONATOR wrote:THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS AT 80 YARDS OUT OF A SHOTGUN IS BUCK SHOT! :yes:

that is about a joke and is say by someone who dosen't kn wo much about shotguns i personaly belive a SLUG would do the job just fine :hammering:

j/k all :toofunny:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:18 pm

I dont believe it. 80 yards?
A little exaggeration goes a long way.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby Old Timer » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm

80yrds?...running? :eek: Now just where is it that this(hunter)hunts? Need to know so I can stay clear of them parts of the woods. Wouldnt want to be in his line of fire. Might need to wear bright orange in this case, cuz a turkey doesnt stroll as he is running and I know for sure, human eyes dont see cammie ppl well at 80 yrds either. Anyway, 80 yrds sounds alittle far fetched to me. Might get peppered but it wouldnt be fatal.
Old Timer
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:38 pm

OK, fellers, I think hes had enough of an *** chewin.

This thread is old, lets let it go. :thumbsup:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:51 pm

me and my buddy had our turkey setups and a flock of crows flew over at approx. 60 yds and we both shot three times and feathers were flyin everywheres, a turkey is way tougher then a crow and that crow was still alive when he hit the ground.....kind of a stretch. not sayin it cant happen but its not a high % shot
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:18 pm

ITS ALMOST A YEAR OLD AND IS OF NO RELEVANCE TO ANYTHING............................
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:09 am

I'm locking it. There is no new info that can come of this thread.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Upland Game