Rabbits

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Rabbits

Postby Band Collector » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Does anyone know where to go rabbit hunting in Utah? I've been but can't find them anywhere. If you know where to go will you let me know, thanks. :help:
Quack Addict
Band Collector
hunter

Re: Rabbits

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:41 pm

There are Rabbits and then there are Wabbits...................

Wabbits are also named "Jack Wabbit" since they are not food fare and only good for target practice...........

On the other hand Utah might have "Snow Shoe" or the smaller "Cotton tail" or the "Pigmy" that has the smallest ears of them all.
The Cotton tail is the easiest to find in the desert or ranch areas............ They like old fallen down Barns, trees,logs and even
rock piles to hide in for cover. The low lands and foot hills are some of the better spots to start looking, just make sure you are
500 yards or more away if using a shotgun,from people. (Nev regs) You have to be even farther if using a rifle,even the little .22.

Alfalfa fieds are a jack rabbits "Honey Hole" but you need to get the ranchers permission to hunt and if you do, the early am and late pm are prime times and bring lots of ammo and don't shot the ranch animals !!

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby corky569 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:29 pm

[quote="Sagebrush"]There are Rabbits and then there are Wabbits...................

Wabbits are also named "Jack Wabbit" since they are not food fare and only good for target practice...........

I eat Jacks all the time. I boil them for 1.5 to 2 hours with onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper. It makes a great stock. I use the stock to make enchilada sauce from scratch, and shred the meat from the bones. Delicious. Try reading this.

http://honest-food.net/2010/02/11/hare-stew-hard-times/

I thought it was a great explanation of why people generally don't eat Jacks.
corky569
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 am

Keep in mind that often you are not just going to see rabbits or hares moving around. They generally will see you before you see them and hang tight until you just about step on them. Often it's just a matter of getting out there and kicking them up.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Upland Game