Advice on planting sunflower seeds

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Advice on planting sunflower seeds

Postby durb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 am

I'm looking to plant some sunflowers this year for doves. Any advice for someone new to planting them? I dont have any equipment, so I'm going to have to find someone to till up the ground etc... I live in central Illinois.
durb
hunter

Re: Advice on planting sunflower seeds

Postby Trv » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:01 am

I am in the same boat you are durb. I'm in va and also looking to start an acre of sunflowers.
I have heard that sunflowers are really easy to grow. I have been doing research and know that lime is still required. I'm thinking about hiring vamonsterplots to bang things out for me...just not sure about my buddies and the "work" part, although they never fail to show up for the "fun" parts lol

Doves are tasty and fun shootin! Enough to make a man want to build his own honey hole!
Trv
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 am

We hand spread sunflower seeds inbetween phases by hand and if it rains before the doves get then then they will sprout and begin to grow. They are very easy to grow
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Trv » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:We hand spread sunflower seeds inbetween phases by hand and if it rains before the doves get then then they will sprout and begin to grow. They are very easy to grow

Thats what I have heard... People throwing them out by hand and they grow by themselves
Do you get your seeds from a co-op?
Trv
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Haha no. These are just the seeds you get in the bird feed from Walmart. We didnt intend to try to grow with them at first. But it worked so that's what we use now. Most of our dove field gets planted in sorghum and brown top millet. Sunflowers are in strip for cover mostly.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:05 am

I order mine from a company in Texas. You want to plant the small "black sunflowers" as they are more oily and the younger birds can swallow them easier. Keep your middles between the plants free of weeds by using a cultivator. As the plants mature the seeds will fall out and if the ground is not clean the birds can't walk and look for them as they have "short lil' legs"!! Really, doves like to feed on a clean surface!! :thumbsup:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby emartinez11 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 am

if im not mistaken, is that not technically baiting? Here in texas, you cant plant sunflower specifically to hunt. Unless you are a farmer that normally grows them, They grow wild, etc.. You cant plant sunflower to specifically hunt dove.

May want to look up local law
emartinez11
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Here in Ok, I don't screw with sunflowers. Deer will eat the hell out of em.
I just let the wheat in my plots grow and mature, then around the first of august I'll spray em with round up.
Wait a week for the round up to fully kill everything, then burn it. Completely legal, have the game warden come out to check it every season. He ends up shooting a few as well when he gets the time.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Return to Upland Game