Perdiz on the Pampas

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Perdiz on the Pampas

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 pm

With Quail hunting not what it used to be in the south I relish following a good dog in Argentina in pursuit of Perdiz. The Spotted Nothura and the larger Red-winged Tinamou are all lumped together as Perdiz by the local outfitters. But, the Red-wing is considered a prize as it is more secretive and in smaller number than the Nothura. Wonderful birds to hunt as they hold tight, run and usually found in singles and rarely pairs on the vast grassland called the Pampas. Great on the table also as the tender white meat is very flavorful, better than quail in my opinion. I have had the pleasure of following some great pointing dogs down there whether Brittany Spaniels, English Pointers, German Shorthairs and even Pointer/Shorthair crosses the dogs I have seen would be welcomed in any upland hunters kennel.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Re: Perdiz on the Pampas

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:10 am

Great pictures ,it's a fantasy of mine to have pictures of myself with great dogs ,like these ! OH Someday !
Did you hunt waterfowl ,while you were there also ?
3200 man
hunter

Re: Perdiz on the Pampas

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:39 am

Yes, a lot of watefowl hunting in the three weeks I was there. Was good as usual. I cut my teeth following dogs in East Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama and enjoy following a good dog down there. The little Britanny was a hunting machine and I've hunted over her for three years down there. The big Pointer was as a stylish a dog as I have seen in some time.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Return to Upland Game