Fallow field dove hunt

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Fallow field dove hunt

Postby SkyPeeler » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Just wondering if anyone ever had any luck mowing strips in a overgrown field to expose wild seeds for dove hunting :help:
(( SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS ))
SkyPeeler
hunter

Re: Fallow field dove hunt

Postby luie b » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 am

You mean like grown up wild plants and grasses? If that's what you're talking about I wouldn't mow too much of it off just mow a few strips through it. I think doves are already attracted to those tall grasses so if you just mow those few strips through it you'll attract some. At least we used to do that and it worked. But I've even had some pretty decent dove shoots over just a watering hole or by a roost sight where the doves came to this timber stand out in the middle of a bunch of fields to roost.
luie b
hunter

Re: Fallow field dove hunt

Postby rivercountry » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 am

One of the best shoots I remeber was over a Coastal Bermuda field we had just bailed. We left the sunflower field to hunt it because the birds were not using it and a buddy called us and said our hay field was full of birds. It was all you could do just to keep your gun loaded the birds were flying so well it didnt really make any sense but, in times like that you dont question it you just keep shootin.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Return to Upland Game