Turkey hunter

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey hunter

Postby Daniel00 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:26 pm

hi im a new hunter and wants to try my luck on turkeys..id like to ask on what ammo to use?shotgun?bow?for a beginner like me...any suggestions accepted thanks!
Daniel00
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:57 pm

I would go with a shotgun. Bow is fine if you are a good shot and have a blind. For a shotgun go with a good turkey choke and 3" loads. I like the Rem copper plated #5 3" 2 oz. or the 3" Winchesters. Hevi shot is very good in #6 or #5 if you can afford it or find a deal. Make sure you pattern to determine max. range and impact point of your core pattern. Get a few of the HS Strut beginner DVD's or tapes. Get a good box call. I like the HS waterproof Champion standard size one. Mouth calls are good, but take a little work. Get a few and get started; again a DVD will really help get you on the right path. I also really like the Freak frictionite call by Primos. It is easy to use and makes all the sounds.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Daniel00 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:41 pm

oh ok..yeah i think it requires more practrice when using a bow..so i should have at least 2 calls?a box and a mouth call?or a box call is ok..i think my granddad has still his old box stuck somewhere :D
yeah i il rent a dvd on this..thanks thaner.
Daniel00
hunter

turkey hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:43 pm

There are alot of things to cnsider when choosing your turkey package. First as a beginner I wouldn`t recommend starting out with a bow. Unless your willing to bust a lot of birds during your learning curve. I have a few friends that tried bow hunting right out of the gate. They quickly learned that turkey hunting is alot harder than they thought. Turkeys make a deer look stupid. If they could smell you`d never see one. I would purchase a shotgun chambered in 3 1/2". Mossberg has the 835 for a very good price that is avalible with a turkey package( camo, true glow fiber optic sights, and a factory turkey choke). Next consider a GOOD after market choke. There are alot to choose from but all work well. Next I would recommend using #5 shot by Hevi 13. It is by far the best. Next spend alot of time patterning your shotgun. After you`ve logged some time in the woods and harvested a few birds I would consider using a bow, muzzle loading shotgun, or even dropping down to a .410 and taking on at 10 yrds. Best of luck. By the way a good friend of mine makes a GREAT turkey call that I myself thinf is one of the best tukey sounding calls on the market. Give the sight a try, you won`t be diappointed. Oh, and join the NWTF. Take a kid hunting http://www.cuttnrun.com/
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:49 am

Killin a turkey with a bow is pretty challenging, If you are an experienced bow hunter for whitetails, then you prolly wouldnt have a problem, but make sure you invest in a good ground blind and where a black shirt and face cover. One thing you will learn quickly, turkeys have excellent eye site. I was hunting with my bow this year and had at least 5 Toms within 10 yards of me, 2 of them I coulda reached out and touched!! :thumbsup: I never could get a shot, so another quality to have is patience. Lots of patience!! My buddy shot a gobbler with a guilotine this year, and that is the way to go!! If you are comfortable with your shooting skills that is.
Check this out: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &q=gobbler
:hammering: :hammering:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:48 pm

A box call is very easy to learn on and has a lot of volume for distance. The only down fall is it takes two hands so it is hard to call close. Some say it also has the best sound. The freak friction call is also easy to use and it is very versatile. It has a strap so you can strap it to your leg for one hand calling so you can have you gun up and still call. The mouth call is handy for no hand calling and it can do a lot of different calls. It is probably the hardest to master. You never know what a turkey will like. Some will only response to one call out of many. That's why a lot of experienced turkey caller carry alot of different calls. I would start with a good box and the freak. Get some mouth calls right away and start working with them. The first two calls will get you hunting and you can throw in the mouth call when you get good at it.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Daniel00 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks a lot i should be getting ready on these things by now..il get my shotgun ready...can't wait for fall to go turkey hunting...but will the same calls be effective on fall?
i've heard there's no calling during fall..is this true?
Daniel00
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:19 am

Fall gobblers are gonna be hard to make talk, but it is possible to get em to gobble. You will here gobbles early in the morning, but when they hit the ground, they usually shut up(in the fall). Your best bet is to do your scouting and try to locate where they are roosting and slip in bright and early and set up 100 yards or so to the roost...do not scare them outta rost...bad deal!! Sun starts to creap up, give a little purr or a faint yelp. Don't get too loud though. One thing to remember, a bird doesnt always gobble when coming to a hen, silent birds are the hardest to kill. Experience will help you cope with silent birds. Your best bet is to practice on your calls, especially diaphram calls, master the cluck, purr, and yelps and do all your scouting to know the birds habits. I recommend buying you a book and reading up on turkey habits and tactics to hunting turkeys. I have been turkey hunting for 10+ years and still learn something new about turkeys each time I go hunting. Thats what makes it fun though. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

turkey hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Fall turkey hunting is alot different than spring. It is no longer mating season so there isn`t as much gobbling goning on. The birds have flocked back up mostly in groups of hens, jakes, and gobblers. The best way to hunt is to do alot of scouting and find where the birds are hanging out. Wintering areas are different than spring areas. Once you find a flock try to see where they roost. The next morning go in before sunrise WITHOUT using a flashlight and get within 100 yrds if possible. Once the birds fly down either try to get in front of them or bust them up. By busting them up I mean run at them yelling and screaming as loud as you can making sure that they fly off in different directions. Then set up where they flew off from. Wait 30 minutes and do some come back, assembly calls, and kee-kees. All of these calls can be heard on the NWTF web site. A box call is a good call to use but is loud. I suggest a slat or glass call. A mouth call is the most difficult to master but is extreamly deadly. It produces alot of good turkey sounds. PRACTICE ALOT! Good luck and post us a pic when you take one!
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Daniel00 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:02 pm

sure..thanks for all of these tips and ideas..i think i should get a partner on this, an experienced one..am sure it will be of big help when you have a partner out in the field..
was it this difficult for you too when you first decided to go turkey hunting?
Daniel00
hunter

turkey hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 pm

Yes it was that difficult for me when I started. But 6 years later I would choose turkey hunting over all others. I personaly learned from a book and in the field practicing. It was hard at first. People think that turkeys are dumb animals. However I believe they are some of the smartest animals in the woods. Heck almost everything in the woods wants to snack on them. Above all you must have patience and lots of it. I bumped more birds in my fist year than you can imagine. Stealth and camo will be your biggest friends. Calling is alot of fun. Hearing that big ol tom gobbling back at you and knowing that your speaking his lingo is amazing. But remember not to get to caught up in it all. Call sparingly. And don`t use alot of yelping and cutting like most people. I`ve went in behind people that were comming out of the woods saying that the bird was henned up and called him in with soft natural sounds. learn to be a good woodsman and the birds will come. I`ve spent alot of time practicing how to call using a box, friction and a diagram. I`m not afraid to go to people who are great callers and ask for information. A few of my friends actually make and sell their custom calls. These guys are good. That has really helped. If you do team up with someone try to make sure he knows what he`s doing. I spend alot more time calling for my frinds and family than I do for myself now. I`m always taking kids in the woods. Calling in a persons first bird brings me more excitment that shooting one for myself. Give it a serious chance and you will get hooked. One piece of info. Buy a thermal cell. It will be your best friend while chasing tom`s all over the place. Bye the way where are you from Daniel00. If your close to NC we would be glad to share a blind with you
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Daniel00 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:10 pm

yeah people who are already into it are big help..more years to learn for me :smile: thanks for sharing your expertise :)
oh im all the way from UT..
Daniel00
hunter

turkey hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:40 pm

No problem. I know some people aren`t willing to help other because the woods are getting overcrowded. Good luck to you and send us a pic when you get one.
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Daniel00 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks! hope i could have my first turkey this fall..if not il have to wait for next spring..
Daniel00
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:00 am

Good luck Daniel,
Remember the patience part, if anything. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Daniel00 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks mat..i saw the video and its really cool :D
yeah il remember that! "patience...patience..patience" :yes:
Daniel00