Banded Doves?!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Banded Doves?!

Postby Duckmaster1100 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:25 pm

Yesterday wasthe last day of Dove season here in Idaho, I was lucky enough to shoot a banded dove. Has anyone heard of these anywhere else???
Duckmaster1100
hunter

Re: Banded Doves?!

Postby bubba57 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Duckmaster1100 wrote:Yesterday wasthe last day of Dove season here in Idaho, I was lucky enough to shoot a banded dove. Has anyone heard of these anywhere else???

They started moving into Tex. a few years ago. My understanding is that they came from South America, then migrated west from Florida. I have friends in N. Mex. that say they they have made it into there area. Your the first one I have heard of seeing them that far north. I think there called collard doves if you want to check them out.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby Duckmaster1100 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm

We have Collard doves here in Idaho, they are moved in a year or so ago and the numbers are booming, This was a mourning dove with an aluminum leg band?
Duckmaster1100
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Duckmaster1100 wrote:We have Collard doves here in Idaho, they are moved in a year or so ago and the numbers are booming, This was a mourning dove with an aluminum leg band?

Sorry! my bad, I have heard people call collard doves banded doves. I have hunted dove (mourning and white wing) all my life, cant say I have ever seen one with a leg band. Does it have any markings on it?
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:02 pm

bubba57 wrote:
Duckmaster1100 wrote:We have Collard doves here in Idaho, they are moved in a year or so ago and the numbers are booming, This was a mourning dove with an aluminum leg band?

Sorry! my bad, I have heard people call collard doves banded doves. I have hunted dove (mourning and white wing) all my life, cant say I have ever seen one with a leg band. Does it have any markings on it?

They do in CA. Exactly the same as a waterfowl band and you can get the certificate, too. Or print it off the site, anyway. Pretty cool looking. About the diameter of a drinking straw.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby WisterSpoonieSlayer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm a volunteer with Quail Unlimited and we traped and banded 120 dove this year at Camp Cady State Wildlife area here in California.
WisterSpoonieSlayer
hunter

Postby jhend08 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:15 pm

I helped band them here in NM too. Pretty much the same concept as the duck bands. They are being used to gather population and migration info. Congrats on getting one!
jhend08
hunter

Postby skydog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 am

Buddy I was hunting with shot a banded dove over Labor day weekend in Southern Virginia. I had never heard of such a thing before either.
skydog
hunter

Return to Upland Game