Pheasant loads

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Re: Pheasant loads

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:44 am

razorrt5 wrote:I read an interesting article (can't remember which magazine) they tested loads for pheasant based on pellets on target and penetration and turned out #2 was the best load go figure

I've posted this many times, except my conservation study was via SODAK DNR. They suggest #4 as most lethal for all ranges. #5, then #6 were the next shot sizes...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:58 am

razorrt5 wrote:I read an interesting article (can't remember which magazine) they tested loads for pheasant based on pellets on target and penetration and turned out #2 was the best load go figure

That was a Tom Roster study, and you are correct. He found #2 steel to be the best, followed by #6 steel I believe. Odd I know. Took into account # of DIA (dead in air) birds, cripples, runners on the ground, etc. One shot per bird and a spotter with a range finder taking notes. About as scientific as you can get in the field.

Each kill was recorded for its range, load, and shooting angle and then a necropsy was performed on the bird to see the penetration and internal damage.
BBK
hunter

Postby pbd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:45 pm

4's worked pretty good last Saturday.
pbd
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Hevishot Pheasant 4's and 6's will flat wear them out
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:22 pm

I just use 12ga 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz of #5 at 1330fps (mostly Remington) with a LM choke for pheasant in any conditions. I have never destroyed a bird that I can remember or had one that I could not find so It works for me at an average of about 20 birds a season. I was thinking of switching to steel being the I believe it will not be too far in our future that all game birds will have to be harvested with some form of non-toxic shot. Hope it does not happen but times are changing and someone will find that the lead is killing field mice or poisoning them and the Owls are dying from eating the mice :no:
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby longislandloco » Sat May 02, 2015 9:37 pm

I have to agree about all steel being in our future, only a matter of time.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"……old Moe

The Flight Deck…….the smell of the sea and JP5, still miss it.
longislandloco
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:40 am

Not a Fiocci fan, they seem to have rice in them.

That said, for years and years I shot pheasants and ducks with low brass small game loads (Rabbit & Squirrel). Same today with chukar. In the early season, or most of the time, I shot 6's. As the pheasants began to flush more wildly late in the season I'd use 5's or 4's, and both were deadly on geese too.

Lead retains its energy way out there, but really strings out along the way. Only take close shots on pheasants. You can make crossing kill shots on Huns, chukar, and teal at 60 to 80 yards with lead shot. You just need to give them a huge lead. Shoot, take the gun down, and watch the bird fly into the shot string and tumble way out there. (Does not work with pheasants, so don't try! You can hit 'em but they won't go down.) I don't recommend taking long shots like this unless you are hunting in fairly sparsely vegetated country, at a single (lone) bird, and you have a really good dog or two with you.

If you know math you can calculate the lead required fora crossing bird.http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/Outing/Volume_57/outLVII05/outLVII05h.pdf
"Chill Dude, these guys think the public pool and playground are communist plots"s - BBD2
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
Republicans take care of big money, for big money takes care of them ~ Will Rogers
E PLURIBUS UNUM
dudejcb
hunter

Pheasant loads

Postby razorrt5 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 am

I end up using #2 for everything with wings. Ducks , geese and pheasants. It crushes a ducks, stops a pheasant and takes down the geese, much rather over due it on a teal and have the opportunity to drop a goose than use #4-6 on the teal or pheasant and no chance at landing a goose passing by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it's not duck season...its one day closer
razorrt5
Punkin

Postby rainingmallards » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:05 am

longislandloco wrote:I have to agree about all steel being in our future, only a matter of time.

I totally agree....it is simply a matter of time
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby wildernessninja » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:41 pm

Steel #2 23\4 11\8.are seasons over lap and I want one shell for everything
wildernessninja
hunter

Postby oskar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm

I must shoot some very weak pheasants in MT, my 12ga 2 1/2" go to load is àn ounce of hard 6's at 1180 fps out of a nice light weight Italian sxs with 25" barrels, choked IC & IM. I think a great GWHP has a lot to do with it. But then my waterfowl loads are the same 2 1/2" shell loads with 7/8 oz. of ITX 6's.

Shoot the duçks you KNOW you can kill, pass on the ones you THINK you can kill.
oskar
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:07 am

Going with the Hevi Pheasant 4's
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:13 pm

Bump and update.

All killed with 20 gauge 2 3/4" 1 oz. of #5's 1220 fps out of modified chokes. ONE did get killed with #8's as we were expecting quail in a brush pile. All of us shot 20 gauges this weekend. 17 pheasant and 20 quail for a day and a half of hunting between 3 guys and 2 GSP.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:48 pm

I use Hevishot Duck for pheasant hunting with awesome results
rainingmallards
hunter

Previous

Return to Upland Game