Pigeon Hunting Anyone?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Pigeon Hunting Anyone?

Postby bowmand » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there has hunted pigeons before during there off season? I have seen people hunt them on the outdoor channel in Argentina and other foreign countries but never have i seen it in the states? Is it possible to shoot large numbers of birds in the states and if so how is the easiest way to get started pigeon hunting?
bowmand
Newb

Re: Pigeon Hunting Anyone?

Postby avery28 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 pm

I have been hunting pigeons for about 10 years now and it has been an awsome way to make the off season for ducks and geese fly by. Pigeon hunting has no rules, no seasons and no limits in my home state of Idaho so i can shoot as many pigeon as i want whenever i want. I have found that the easiest way to kill pigeons is over pigeon decoys in places that they tend to concentrate at. If your able to get permission on a feedlot or dairy your success will increase very high and you should end up with a lot of birds. There is a website called Soar No More Wingshooting and they have got pigeon hunting down to a science as far as decoys and info on how to hunt them. Here is an awsome video clip of how fun pigeon hunting can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PJdRhkPBHQ
avery28
Newb

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 am

"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm

We hunt pigeons a lot here in PA. They are a non-regulated, non-game species and can be taken with virtually any weapon, any time of the year here but we usually end up shooting a bunch during dove season and goose season when they're hitting the corn fields. We just bring a few boxes of Win. steel to keep it legal. We run the Soar No More silhouettes too and they work really well. A bit on the expensive side for such a small decoy, but once we got a dozen, we just traced them out on some choroplast campaign signs and made another 5 dozen, painting them to match the general colors of the original dozen.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby hockymvp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 pm

Pigeon's are super fun to hunt. They decoy like waterfowl. I just posted some killer pictures in a similar post in this same forum. Go check it out! By the way a lot of Pigeons are banded. Between three guys we have almost twenty bands.
hockymvp
hunter

Return to Upland Game