Dove Recipes

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove Recipes

Postby Centralkywaterfowler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 pm

How do you guys like to cook dove?
Centralkywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Dove Recipes

Postby pbd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 pm

BBQ with salt and pepper seasoning
BBQ with an off the shelf ( I think it's Grillmates) mesquite marinade, marinade 6-8 hours
Make a mix of mayo, spicy mustard, horseradish and Parmesan cheese, slather it on the birds and cook em up
Marinade in Bernstein's Italian Dressing for 6-8 hours and bbq

Let me know if you need more.
pbd
hunter

Postby timpy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 pm

The italian dressing marinade is the best IMO. There is also a great filed and stream recipe for upland pizza that includes dove breast that is awesome! I will look it up when I get home and post it.
timpy
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Wrap them in a strip of bacon and use your sauce or marinade of choice (bbq and italian dressing are both great) and grill to medium/medium well.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby timpy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am

Grilled Dove Pizza

4 birds
2 slices bacon
1 lb morels or other shroom
9 tbsp oil
sage
1 1/2 cup cheese (mozzarella is good)
1 round uncooked pizza dough (you can get these at the grocery store)

1: wrap breast in half piece a bacon and grill until bacon is cooked and set them aside

2: stem mushrooms, put caps in a bowl and toss in 3 tbsp oil then grill over medium heat for 3 minutes or so.

3: chop dove breasts and bacon into small pieces and put in bowl, slice mushrooms and add to dove breast, lastly add sage.

4:sprinkle flour on cutting board and divide dough into two halves so it fits on the grill better. Flatten each dough ball to 1/4' disc and coat each side with a tbsp oil. Place dough on hot side of grill on high for a minute until the dough starts to puff up, then flip it over and turn the heat to medium until the bottom is brown and firm (about 4 minutes) flip again and turn heat to high for another minute to finish the crust.

5: Turn heat back to medium and brush tops with remaining oil. Add cheese and toppings to each pizza then cover the grill for 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese. The bottoms will scorch a little but that's ok. When the cheese is melted they are done.

This is a field and stream recipe with a few changes. I have tried it with dive, pigeon and grouse and it is really good. It makes a great camp meal and feeds 4.
timpy
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:17 pm

apexhunter wrote:Wrap them in a strip of bacon and use your sauce or marinade of choice (bbq and italian dressing are both great) and grill to medium/medium well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is how i cook my up :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Return to Upland Game