Planting for dove

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Planting for dove

Postby Droberts » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:23 pm

I was wondering what you guys recommended planting for dove and when do you begin planting it? I live in South MS and our season opens beginning of September. I planted sunflowers and millet last year and had good amounts of dove coming in up until about a week before season started and they just vanished. I don't know if i planted to early or what the deal was but if you guys would give me some input or some methods to try out it'd be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance.
Droberts
hunter

Re: Planting for dove

Postby apexhunter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 am

You typically want the crop to mature a week or so before the season to allow the birds time to find the food and start using the field. That said you may have had some weather come through that pushed the birds out and it wouldn't matter what type or quantity of food you had.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 am

If somebody disks an area near you..some are gonna leave and go there for a period no matter what you plant. Have had that happen many times in Alabama. :thumbsup:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby pbd » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

I don't know how well it grows in your part of the country but safflower is like dove cocaine. They can't get enough of it.
pbd
hunter

Postby toptrigger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 am

I live in north ms and have has very good luck with sunflowers. We plant them the first week in April every year. It doesn't matter when the die just as long as they're not green when the season opens. We start mowing ours around August 1st to get a few on the ground but will leave most standing through the end of the year. If you look at a sunflower that is still standing you can see where the birds have been landing on the stalk and eating the top rows of seed of the head.
toptrigger
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:24 pm

I would go with milo, sunflowers, and wheat.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby QuackHead89 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 am

We planted millet. We'll mow a few strips down, leave some standing, and disk up some strips as well to expose bare ground a week before the season comes in. We hunted this area last year and there was nothing but bare ground from a logging deck and had a good shoot. If you can't plant, try and find a place where you see a few scattered doves and if you can disk up some bare ground. If you don't have a disk, a tiller will work.
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 am

German millet let it get ripe then cut and bale for hay. The first year we did this you had to kick seed around to get to the bare dirt. Had 14 people in the field and all limited out in less than an hour and a half then we sat in the yard and watched about 5000 more doves land and feed. Hunted it three weekend in a row everyone limited the first two weekends the last one was a little tougher but we scratched out a couple limits.

It works best if you can find a crop farmer that will let you rotate it around so you move the plot a little each year. After about 3 years the Johnson grass would take it over and we had to stop doing it. Gonna try to get a rotation started next year and get it going again.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Return to Upland Game