Spruce Grouse! (need some tips)

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Spruce Grouse! (need some tips)

Postby jiminy_fatal » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 pm

First time hunter here. i've shot a few ducks already this year season opened on the 1st of september. Upland game bird season starts on the 15th! I can hardly wait. We have a ton of fool chicken up here (Spruce Grouse) and i need some tips!!!

I shoot a 12ga 870 with a mod choke. I'll probably shoot #6 lead shot 2 3/4.

The question is, where do I find the bastards??

and once I do, any tips for spotting and whacking them in the dense spruce forests up here in northern saskatchewan??????

Any help would be appreciated.

Do I need camo???????
jiminy_fatal
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:23 pm

no you dont need camo... or even a 12 gauge... this is what we do for the ones here, but i cannot guarentee that its the same there too...

we walk down logging roads or just about any dirt road that they are around... for some reason they like them... anyways you walk until you see one or scare one up... if you spook them they will fly to the nearest branch and just stay perfectly still... then you just pop them with a rock or slingshot... we've even caught them with our bare hands... hopefully i can get some the weekend after next :getdown:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby jiminy_fatal » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:13 am

I hear the reason they like roads, especially in the early morning is that the and or gravel on most roads, once they ingest a bit of it, helps with their digestive system to be more effective!

Thanks for the tips!
jiminy_fatal
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Hopefully you don't get too much crap about that jjohnson.. Lot's of people try to be "sporting" with grouse :laughing:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:56 pm

The only bird that was denser than a Spruce Grouse is extinct and the only reason that Spruce Grouse aren't is that not many folks like the taste of Spruce needles/gum. You hunt them with a stick.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:15 pm

hey what are you supposed to do just let them sit there if you miss the first time :getdown:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby lars » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:36 pm

get yourself a big bag of rocks!

haha just joshin'

i got my first this year in northern minnesota, and he was in the thick stuff... let me tell you. start walking the new aspen stands.... my 2 cents
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:18 pm

a 12 gauge is definately overkill but a bow or .410 would be great
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:58 pm

sprouse grouse are not leagle to hunt in maine but we have a few. all the ones ive ever seen while rabbit hunting and so forth could have been shot w/ a 22
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:27 pm

I've only ever seen one - easiest shot I ever made too - got real close and shot it out of a tree.
I had an old timer tell me once that if there was a handful of them in a tree, you could shoot every one as long as you started at the bottom and worked your way up. He said they would stay put as long as another didn't drop past 'em.
Personally, unless I was starving, I would rather shoot them on the wing (the first time excluded i guess) . That being said, my recommendation based on my limited experience would be mixed aspen and pine. Oh, and MOD is probably overkill. Unless your shots are real long, IC will serve you just fine, and even as open as skeet using #8's.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby montana quackhead » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:03 pm

Look for the spruces along creek bottoms and in the afternoon along the gravel roads. Somebody already said something about the gravel and the digestive tract, which is true. Doves, ducks, quail and grouse use the gravel to make their food easier to digest. As what everyone else said, you can get them with rocks, sticks, and other types of ingenuity. Just make sure you kill those damn things. :salude: :salude: :salude:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby newfiehunter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:23 am

ak_powder_monkey wrote:a 12 gauge is definately overkill but a bow or .410 would be great

i shot about 20 spruce and ruffed grouse last year with my mossy 12 and only one got beat up.
i find the 12ga perfect for it, jusr need to be real good for the head shots! :lol:
newfiehunter
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:20 am

jjohnson_714 wrote:no you dont need camo... or even a 12 gauge... this is what we do for the ones here, but i cannot guarentee that its the same there too...

we walk down logging roads or just about any dirt road that they are around... for some reason they like them... anyways you walk until you see one or scare one up... if you spook them they will fly to the nearest branch and just stay perfectly still... then you just pop them with a rock or slingshot... we've even caught them with our bare hands... hopefully i can get some the weekend after next :getdown:

Thats what we do for snipe, and we got at night too. Its pretty sweet, you should try it.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:21 am

We went to Quebec a few years ago for ruffed grouse. We all know how partridge are down here (i.e. startle you coming up, and take off like a rocket, if you get a shot at all it has to be a fast one, etc.). Where we were in Quebec, they get so little pressure, that they're just like the Spruce Grouse you guys are describing. There were times when we had to throw rocks and sticks to get them to flush out of the tree they jumped into! One day, the outfitter took a ride out to our cabin to check in with us. He asked how we were doing, and we said great. We had flushed 6 or 7, and gotten 3 or 4 of those. His statement was, "Oh, there flushin on ya, ay?" He didn't seem to understand why we would flush them on purpose, as most of those guys drive around and shoot them on the dirt roads! They get so little pressure up there, and see so few humans that they don't even realize we're a predator to them. Maybe the moose and bear hunters feed em crackers or something. It was an interesting trip.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Return to Upland Game