Dove Tips for a Newbie

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove Tips for a Newbie

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:15 pm

I've been dove hunting a few times, but never really got into it much. When ever I have gone in the past I just walk through a cut corn field and see what comes up or passes by.

In being on this site, I have picked up on quite a bit of ranting and raving over dove season. ANd figured to give it a shot while waiting for the regular duck and goose season to open.

From what I've under stood so far decoy's work well. So, I went out and baught a 4 pack of clip ons and a wind powered spinner. Last year, I'd walk thorugh the field, more often than not they would see me and take off way before I would see them. This year I figured I would set my layout blind in the field and stick the spinner up behind my head. Then make a "T" stand out of a dowel rod and an old wood steak or something and put the four clip ons on it, then sit back and wait.

A few questions. Am I on the correct page for my setup? Will 5 decoys be enough? SHould I get more? What about calling? Is it safe just to imitate a dove call by whistling, or would I be better off getting a call?
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

DOVE HUNTING

Postby BHUNTER » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:41 pm

during the first weekend of the season just put your camo on and find their flight path to and from their roost, then find a place along that flight path where they slow down and set their wings for a landing. after the first week i would definetly use decoys to draw them in, but keep in mind they will still use a flight path like a tree line or ditch. tree lines are a good place to ambush them when you can, i have found that blinds sometimes make then more scared than if you are standing in the open.
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

Return to Upland Game