Going Grousing this Saturday

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Going Grousing this Saturday

Postby jiminy_fatal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:17 pm

Well, a buddy and I are probably going to go 'up the road' and do some grousing. Up here we got a lot of spruce and ruffed grouse. We've got a few spots picked out, which one do you guys think we should hunt first?

1. A newly burnt area where the spruce trees are 4-6 feet tall and very thickly bunched. There are a few old logging trails on sand criscrossing this area.

2. Loosely spaced birch and spruce combo forest with sandy/mossy floor

3. a small creek at the edge of a new forest.

Now, what time would be best? We usually shoot around sunrise till noon. is this the best time? I hear that many grouse will look for paths/roads in order to ingest some sand to help with digestion...

any help would be greatly appreciated.
jiminy_fatal
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:05 pm

My money would be on option 1 first. It depends on the weather though; on a sunny day, I do tend to jump more grouse near the roads than on less favorable days. If it's wetter, you might find the birds sticking to the trees, especially pines.
In your area and this time of the year, you probably have lost a lot of forage so look high in the birch where the grouse might be eating the buds.
As far as time of the day, morning hasalways been fairly good for me, but then again, I've had good luck in the afternoon as the season goes on. I say hunt all day!
I can't give you a go-to option but the weather will play a key role. Put the miles in and have a good time for me! I won't be anywhere near a ruffed grouse until the end of November!
Report back on the trip.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby jiminy_fatal » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:42 pm

UPDATE

well, i woke up about an hour before sunrise and got my gear together and was out the door by 8am. As soon as i stepped outside i knew today wouldn't be the best for grousing as it was overcast and windy as hell...

anyways, 3 hours later, i returned home with uncapitalized is and 1 ruffed grouse. The trail I was shooting on was pretty bare except for the one ruffy that jumped out of a tree near my head.. He was dead in a few seconds tho... teach him for scaring me. Anyways, i knew the hunting day was over when I overtook a guy infront of me carrying 8 on his back... He got there first I guess.. suckky,

But, it's only 1441, i may go out again in an hour or two as it starts to get dark, i'm not sure...
jiminy_fatal
hunter

Return to Upland Game